Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Wolfdieter Huy (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=17803)

G. Scott Long 7th August 2009 04:40

Wolfdieter Huy

Does anyone have more detailed info on Huy besides just his victory total of 40 kills? For instance, date and type of a/c he shot down and where? Also I'm interested in his many ship kills and what type of a/c he was flying when he recieved credit for their sinking, as well as the names of the ships. Thanks to everyone.

Best wishes,
Scott

P.S. By the way, how do you pronounce his last name?

Leo Etgen 8th August 2009 10:44

Wolfdieter Huy

Hello Scott

Here is what I have managed to accumulate on this ace until now. It is not all that much but hopefully it might be useful to you somehow.

http://rapidshare.com/files/265013107/Huy.zip.html

Horrido!

Leo

Larry deZeng 8th August 2009 15:17

Re: Wolfdieter Huy

Can't see what Leo has because his site will not allow me to access his file. I think one must join and pay some undisclosed sum of money. Aryway, here is what we have on him:

HUY, Wolf-Dietrich (Wolfdietrich). (DOB: 02.08.17 in Freiburg/Breisgau). (RE). 01.08.39 in RLM pool, promo to Oblt. 09.39 in Trägerjagdgruppe II./186. 13.08.40 Oblt., in Stab III./JG 77, appt Staka 7./JG 77 (to 29.10.42). 05.07.41 Oblt., awarded Ritterkreuz, Staka 7./JG 77. 03.08.41 Oblt., acting Kdr. III./JG 77 (to 09.41). 25.01.42 Oblt., awarded the Ehrenpokal. 17.03.42 Oblt., awarded Eichenlaub, Staka 7./JG 77. 01.04.42 promo to Hptm. 29.10.42 PoW – shot down by Spitfires over the El Alamein area in North Africa and captured. Credited with over 500 combat missions and 40 air victories. † 13.07.2003 in Gernsbach.

As for the correct pronunciation, someone from Belgium, The Netherlands or Germany would be the best authority on that, but my guess would be WAY in English. Other languages no doubt pronounce it differently.

HLdeZ/DGS

Don Pearson 8th August 2009 16:39

Good morning,

While digging around for information on the JG 77 involvement to prevent the British evacuation of Greece, I found this

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/U...ette/38293.pdf

During April/May 1941, Huy flew a Bf 109E-7 wnr 109 4931 white 2+ ^^. Photos can be found in Dr. Prien's JG 77 vol 1 as well as "purple" vol 5.

Hope it helps,

Don

ChrisS 8th August 2009 17:42

Thank you Don for sharing this document with us. Makes me appreciate what a dreadful muddle war can be. I've been to the locations in the text and can imagine in my mind's eye just what a scene it must have been.

Scott if you PM me with your email I will send you all I have.

Regards

Chris

ouidjat 8th August 2009 19:12

Hi Larry,
There is one Free possibility to load the link given by Leo... Nothing more than the page concerning Huy on Luftwaffe.cz.
Concerning Huy pronounciation and your English way... Hum! Hum! Its a german name and I think Scott is asking "how do you pronounce it" .. In German!
But 1/ Is it a true german name? (With final "Y" which, for me sounds a Hungrian one)
And 2/ If it is, then it's a local name with local pronounciation.
then, it's better to think for:
(H being an aspirated consonant)
1/Hui (with Hungrian "y")
2/ Huü (for Y is an Upsilon)
or 3/ Huu long Hu.

I'm going to check further since I think it's a very good question! (Just think about a french asking for Ohio, for example!!! :D)

Franck.

Leo Etgen 8th August 2009 19:56

Wolfdieter Huy

Hi guys

The Rapidshare link is for free. All you have to do is click on "Free User" and then "Download" and the .zip should be available. The problem is that it only lasts for 10 downloads but I can easily repost it if the link expires. As far as I am aware of Kacha did not post Huy's biography. I wish there would be an easier way of sharing this .zip but Rapidshare is all I can think of.

Horrido!

Leo

Larry deZeng 8th August 2009 20:48

Franck: thanks for your thoughts. HUY is also the name of a town in Belgium 26 km WSW of Liège. It has always been my understanding that the word is originally Belgian and not German, but I could be wrong, of course. The Flemish spell it HOEI. Accordingly, HUY in English prounciation may be HOY and not WAY as I said earlier. Anyway, the Belgian town has paper mills and metalworking plants, and has a population of about 18,000.

Leo: thanks for the instructions and information. This is the third time this has come up for me with that web site and each time with the same result. I must be landing on it after others have come in ahead of me and used up the download limitation.

Rasmussen 8th August 2009 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry deZeng (Post 90185)
It has always been my understanding that the word is originally Belgian and not German, but I could be wrong, of course.

... because you find the word "Huy" in German language too. It's the word for "Höhe" (height) in the language "Althochdeutsch" speaking in Middle age. There was spoken as "hüh".

Best wishes
Rasmussen

Larry deZeng 9th August 2009 01:53

Quote:

... because you find the word "Huy" in German language too. It's the word for "Höhe" (height) in the language "Althochdeutsch" speaking in Middle age. There was spoken as "hüh".
Best wishes
Rasmussen
Interesting! I have since found a source that gives the correct pronounciation for English language speakers:

Huy \ü’wē\ pronounced: oo’wee. The “oo” sound is as in the English word “loot”.

Larry