Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   War Planes of the Second World War - Fighters to Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=39869)

Larry 7th December 2014 14:39

War Planes of the Second World War - Fighters to Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft

Who remembers the books War Planes of the Second World War by William Green starting with Fighters Vol 1 through to Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft Vol 10, dating from 1960 to 1968? It was these books that got me interested in WW2 aviation.

But can anyone say if Vol 10 was the last in the series and if so why there weren't any more? I have never seen Vol 11 onwards listed.

Larry 9th December 2014 20:46

Re: War Planes of the Second World War - Fighters to Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft

Perhaps none of you were born before 1980, so no wonder no-one knows!

phasselgren 9th December 2014 21:10

Re: War Planes of the Second World War - Fighters to Bombers and Reconnaissance Aircraft

Larry,
I have a vague memory of a book with float/seaplanes. No idea which volume but it was more detailed than the earlier books. The main reason must have been the relatively small production volumes of these Aircraft.

Regards,
Peter

Nick Beale 9th December 2014 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry (Post 193170)
Perhaps none of you were born before 1980, so no wonder no-one knows!

Some of us born before 1980 couldn't afford more than a few volumes of the series from our pocket money!

Orwell1984 9th December 2014 23:43

Here's a listing for the series:
http://www.librarything.com/series/W...cond+World+War

and it does look like Number 10 was the final volume.

Richard T. Eger 10th December 2014 00:15

Dear Larry,

I was born considerably before 1980 and have all 10 volumes (1960-1968). At the time, I'd say it was a benchmark series of books. William Green then went on to write Warplanes of the Third Reich (1970), which, in its time, was also a benchmark book. Other compendiums that came out around this time were J. R. Smith's and Antony Kay's German Aircraft of the Second World War (1972), Aireview's German Military Aircraft in the Second World War (1959), and Heinz J. Nowarra's and Karlheinz Kens' Die deutschen Flugzeuge 1933-1945 (1961, with a Nachtrag by Nowarra alone in 1964). As far as I know, these were the major compendiums of the times. Green, Smith, and Nowarra were prolific writers of their time. Smith teamed up with Eddie J. Creek dating back to at least Archiv (Gruppe 66) (1966) for a long and distinguished career in Luftwaffe aviation history writing.

Green also wrote the Famous Fighters and Famous Bombers 2-volume sets (1957-1962), but these were restricted to the most well-known aircraft. In his day, Green was considered one of the foremost authorities on the subject of German WW II aircraft.

The tendency since has been in the area of specialization, concentrating on single aircraft types, manufacturers, units, camouflages, cockpits, specialized aircraft fields, such as the jet and rocket aircraft, etc. Yes, periodically someone will whip out a supposed compendium, but generally these are slapdash and meant for the complete novice.

Why the specialization? Because more and more information has become available over the years to do more complete studies.

Regards,
Richard

Larry 12th December 2014 18:20

I just fancied collecting them all, and I now know I have them all but initially I was curious as to whether they stopped at Vol. 10 and why no aircraft from 'Great Britain' followed on from the above that covered 'Germany'.

I still find these books useful, especially to give a few basic details on rarer types and in my youth they replaced my 'Boys Book of the Air' which I think said 'the RAF's newest fighter the Hawker Hurricane has a top speed of over 400 mph!'