Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about VVS training units (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=30778)

oquaig 18th August 2012 02:39

Question about VVS training units

Hi Guys,

I was reading about "ККЗ" or Курс командиров звеньев (Course for Section/Flight Commanders ) for 13 BAD in June 1941. The "ККЗ"was typically three to six aircraft. But this unit had 19 SB's not three or six. One part of my question is why so many with this formation ? Is this unique or standard practice. Another part of my question is: The individual Regiments had training aircraft as well, which are not usually listed on tables of Organization. So new pilots arriving from flight school were trained within the regiment and then "ККЗ" was a Divisional level school ? But in the group of airfields used by 13 BAD was also the 162 RAP (162 Reserve Training Aviation Regiment). What was their function in the training scheme ?

Oquiag

kurlannaiskos 21st August 2012 02:54

Re: Question about VVS training units

to the best of my knowledge RAP is Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment
раэведчик авиациа полк
what you should look for is ZAP
sometimes called reserve regiment,ferry regiment or training regiment.
at present I can't find what Zap stands for in Russian.

oquaig 22nd August 2012 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurlannaiskos (Post 153345)
to the best of my knowledge RAP is Reconnaissance Aviation Regiment
раэведчик авиациа полк
what you should look for is ZAP
sometimes called reserve regiment,ferry regiment or training regiment.
at present I can't find what Zap stands for in Russian.

Hello,
Sorry, but you are mistaken here. The unit I am referring to here is the 162-й резервный авиационный полк. In June 1941 all the existing RAPs were numbered 311 thru 320. The 162nd was based at Zyabrovka, Bronnom and Kholmiche airfields with a total of 64 I-16s, I-153s and SBs. Apparently 15 SBs that flew a combat mission on 26 June 1941.
but thanks anyway
Oquaig

oquaig 22nd August 2012 02:00

ZAP запасный авиационный полк, Reserve Aviation Regiment.

Nikita Egorov 22nd August 2012 09:47

I am not keen on 1941, but normally ReZAP was a reserve and replacement aviation regiment. In the meaning that the main purpose of it was to accumulate planes and pilots for faster refit of the front regiments, exhausted in combats.
"ККЗ" is a separate training organizational unit, same as "KKЭ" Escadrilya (squadron) commanders course, arranged at ZAP's throughout the war for prompt training process. It is far from being excluded that at the beginning of the war those courses maybe arranged at divisional level.