Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   USNA Annapolis class of 1923 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=62647)

keith A 12th October 2022 16:41

USNA Annapolis class of 1923

I am looking for a graduate of this class, probably named either Chamberlain or Duncan who rose to the rank of Admiral and was a Naval Aviator?

My interest is in the career of Captain George Chamberlain Duncan. In an interview he recounts a meeting with his cousin (Annapolis '23) and mentions his later rise to Admiral.

regards

Keith

Leendert 12th October 2022 17:14

Re: USNA Annapolis class of 1923

According https://www.usna.edu/Library/sca/man...w.php?f=MS_430 there was Edwin Robert Duncan in the USNA Class of 1923.
His gravestone says Captain as last rank. 1898-1978.

Possible relationship with G.C. Duncan to be verified...

Regards,

Leendert

R Leonard 12th October 2022 18:09

There were two Duncan’s in the class of 1923

Edwin Robert Duncan, from Kentucky, retired CDR 1 Jan 1944, continued on active duty to 15 Nov 1947, CAPT USN. He was not an aviator.
And
Marion Joseph Duncan, from Missouri, resigned LTJG 28 Oct 1929. Returned to active duty retired 1 May 1950, CAPT USNR. He, too, was not an aviator.

There was no Chamberlain in the class of 1923.

Various Registers of Alumni, USNA

R

keith A 14th October 2022 09:01

B***er! I was hoping his cousin had the name of one of his parents. Many thanks chaps. I wonder how many of the class of '23 reached the rank of Admiral AND were aviators?

regards

K

keith A 14th October 2022 09:17

Apparently the following all reached high rank.

Many of the class of 1923 became general officers later: Arleigh Burke, Harry D. Felt, Merrill B. Twining, Charles F. Coe, John B. Moss, Frederick Moosbrugger, Stanhope C. Ring, Thomas B. Williamson, William D. Anderson, Murr E. Arnold, John G. Crommelin, Paul F. Dugan, George F. Good Jr., William H. Hamilton, Francis M. Hughes, Joseph L. Kane, Ira L. Kimes, William G. Manley, Henry G. Moran, Richard M. Oliver, Edwin R. Peck, John V. Peterson, William T. Rassieur, William J. Scheyer, Francis E. Shoup Jr., Curtis S. Smiley, Frederick C. Stelter Jr., Frank D. Weir, Ralph W.D. Woods, Howard L. Young, Richard M. Cutts Jr., Samuel G. Fuqua, Merlin F. Schneider, Frank H. Lamson-Scribner or Henry A. Schade.

It looks like my weekend is going to be spent combing Fold3 and the internet to reduce this list THEN try and find a link with Duncans parents :)

keith A 14th October 2022 09:57

A quick look dismisses five who became Generals in the USMC. However of those left I have found no less than fifteen who became aviators!

regards

Keith

keith A 14th October 2022 10:01

However now I just have to identify those who reached the rank of Rear-Admiral :)

R Leonard 15th October 2022 21:49

And you'll have to weed-out the tombstone admirals.

R Leonard 16th October 2022 03:01

And it would appear that at at least eleven of the fourteen rear admiral/naval aviator types I can identify in the class of 1923 (identified by their 131 specialty designation) received their promotions upon the date of their retirements as captains . . . tombstone admirals.

That leaves us with

Aaron Putnam Stoors (retired 1957)
Francis Hughes Massie (died on active duty in 1960)
and
Edward Murr Arnold (retired 1963)

as actually serving as active duty rear admirals.

Of course there are always those who were promoted beyond rear admiral and, thus served as active duty RADMs but I did not look closely at them.

Harry Donald Felt, ADM (retired 1964)
Frederick Makay Trapnell, VADM (retired 1952)
Charles Frederick Coe, VADM (retired 1954)
Richard Wayrick Ruble, VADM (retired 1955)
Stanhope Cotton Ring, VADM (retired 1955)
Selden Booth Spangler, VADM (retired 1958)
Thomas Binney Williamson, VADM (retired 1958)
Frank Trenwith Ward, VADM (retired 1958)

Up until 31 Oct 1959, an officer could retire and upon retirement receive a promotion to the next highest grade; a promotion in name only, all retirement pay and benefits were based on the last active duty rank. Such promotions were based on having been awarded combat decoration(s). I would not be at all surprised if all of the VADM's on the above received their third star upon retirement and, in fact, I know for sure, without even looking it up, that three of them did.

Those who appear to have received their RADM promotion upon retirement were

George Arthur T Washburn (retired 1948)
John Geraerdt Crommelin (retired 1950)
William Theodore Rassieur (retired 1952)
Alfred Clarence Olney Jr (retired 1952)
Curtis Stanton Smiley (retired 1953)
Josephus Asa Briggs (retired 1953)
William Donald Anderson (retired 1953)
William Henry Hamilton (retired 1953)
John Valdemar Peterson (retired 1953)
Ralph Walter Woods (retired 1953)
Richard Maxey Oliver (retired 1954)

Note that the majority of these gents had 30 years service. Generally after 30 years and no flag promotion it was time to retire.

Rich

keith A 16th October 2022 18:09

Hey Rich, thanks for sticking with this.

I have two possibilities based on no more than their place of birth, Illinois. These are Murr Edward Arnold and Ralph Walter Dunstan Woods. Now I just need a connection to either the Duncans or the Chamberlains, probably through marriage to two other families.

His father is important for my story. He is born on March 20, 1882 in Streator, Illinois, a mining community from Scottish parents. His mother is called Grace. In 1942, in his draft registration he refuses to give a previous occupation, and this is not shown in the 1940 census when his wife is working as a voice teacher. Too young to be retired, not disabled (he lived until 1955?) and unwilling to give information. Something has happened. He is unemployed and has been for at least two-three years perhaps more. He worked for the Rust mining companies as a mining supplies manager in Tacoma from at least 1920 until 1930. To enter Annapolis in 1935 the family surely was in the upper middle-class bracket, not rich but comfortable?

George C Duncan has a brother. In the Census he is named John or Jack S. He later served on Saipan with the USMC in 1944.

Apart from that I have climbed a lot of ladders and probably a few will land on snakes.

best regards

Keith