Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe 1934 bis 1945 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Abbreviations on charts (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=14165)

Gary_D 17th August 2008 20:29

Abbreviations on charts

Mr. Prien,

I'm reading through volume 9 part III about JG 5, and I have some questions about the charts.

In the victory charts, what does N.N. mean?

And why, when there is a known pilot, is the victory number sometimes still ( .)?

In the loss charts, what do the various abbreviations in the last column mean, i.e.

rt. 2 +
rt. 4 +
ws. 9 +
ws. 9 + 1
ge. 11 +
ge.10 + 1
sw. << + 1
PD + EG
etcetera.

Again in in the loss charts, column 4 shows the status of the pilot. I assume that a cross means dead, verw. means wounded, and verl. means missing, but what do these mean?

(v.)
v.
KG
(KG)

Thank you.

Andy Fletcher 17th August 2008 21:43

Re: Abbreviations on charts

Hi Gary,

N.N. means name not known

rt. is the abbreviation for rot meaning red
ws. = weiss = white
ge. = gelb = yellow
sw. = schwarz = black

The numbers are tactical markings and the bar after the balkenkreuz "+" identifies the gruppe

see the following link
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta/jgmark.htm

ws. 9+I would be White 9 of III.Gruppe

PD + EG is what is known as stammkennziechen which are factory codes.

verw. means verwundet = wounded
verl. means verletz = injured
v. means vermissen = missing
(v.) means missing but returned later
KG. means kampfgefangen = captured (POW)
(KG.) probably means captured but escaped later

I appologise for any errors with the translation as my German is very poor.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher

Nick Beale 17th August 2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Fletcher (Post 71424)
verl. means verletz = injured
v. means vermissen = missing
(v.) means missing but returned later
KG. means kampfgefangen = captured (POW)
(KG.) probably means captured but escaped later

I apologise for any errors

Andy Fletcher

A couple of small errors in the above:

verletzt = injured
vermisst = missing
KG = Kriegsgefangener = Prisoner of War

I worked out what "N.N." meant from the context but as fro the words it stands for: «Name nicht gemeldet» maybe? (name not reported). It would work well in English though ("No Name").

Gary_D 18th August 2008 19:25

Thank you!

Jochen Prien 2nd September 2008 13:36

Dear Nick,

the "N.N." is an abbreviation for a person so far not identified; it's origins are Latin for sure although there is some dispute as to what it actually stands for - it can be either " nomen nescio " ( literally translated: " I don't know the name " ) or " nomen nominandum ", which would translate as " name yet to be given ". Apparently the former solution is the more likely one but I have no ways to tell for sure.

Be this as it may, "N.N." in German is a common way to name a person whose exact name you don't know, if you pardon me that game with words.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jochen Prien

Gary_D 2nd September 2008 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jochen Prien (Post 72422)
Dear Nick,

the "N.N." is an abbreviation for a person so far not identified; it's origins are Latin for sure although there is some dispute as to what it actually stands for - it can be either " nomen nescio " ( literally translated: " I don't know the name " ) or " nomen nominandum ", which would translate as " name yet to be given ". Apparently the former solution is the more likely one but I have no ways to tell for sure.

Be this as it may, "N.N." in German is a common way to name a person whose exact name you don't know, if you pardon me that game with words.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jochen Prien

Hello Mr. Prien,

Does that mean that the original German documents didn't list a victor, or is there some uncertainty for another reason?