Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fate of Wilhelm Brunen, Me 262 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=13321)

Horst Kube 3rd June 2008 10:56

Fate of Wilhelm Brunen, Me 262

Hi all,

the family of Wilhelm Brunen is searching for the fate of their grandfather. They only know, that Brunen must have been test pilot on the Me 262.

Wilhelm Brunen crashed (KIA) in July/August 1944 in the region of Brieg/Breslau.

Any help for clearing his fate is very appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Horst

Richard T. Eger 3rd June 2008 13:49

Re: Fate of Wilhelm Brunen, Me 262

Dear Horst,

There is no one named Brunen anywhere in Dan O'Connell's book Me 262 Production Log. Nor is there any reference to Brieg nor Breslau. Is the family sure the name was spelled "Brunen" back then?

Regards,
Richard

Horst Kube 3rd June 2008 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard T. Eger (Post 67208)
Dear Horst,

There is no one named Brunen anywhere in Dan O'Connell's book Me 262 Production Log. Nor is there any reference to Brieg nor Breslau. Is the family sure the name was spelled "Brunen" back then?

Regards,
Richard

Dear Richard,
I will check again the correct spelling of Wilhelm Brunen.

Brunen crashed near the town Brieg (todays name: Brzeg/Poland), which is about 50 kms. southeast of Breslau, a former province of Schlesien.

Thanks for your help and best regards, Horst

Horst Kube 3rd June 2008 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horst Kube (Post 67211)
Dear Richard,
I will check again the correct spelling of Wilhelm Brunen.

Brunen crashed near the town Brieg (todays name: Brzeg/Poland), which is about 50 kms. southeast of Breslau, a former province of Schlesien.

Thanks for your help and best regards, Horst

I checked the name, the spelling is correct. The family says, Brunen was test pilot in an Erprobungskommando.
Cheers, Horst

Jan Bobek 3rd June 2008 22:06

Maybe not big help, but Volksbund shows these two entries:

Nachname: Brunen Vorname: Wilhelm Ludwig Dienstgrad: Gefreiter Geburtsdatum: 16.12.1924 Geburtsort: Gripekoven Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 31.08.1944 Todes-/Vermisstenort: Tarnow

Nachname: Brunen Vorname: Wilhelm Dienstgrad: Oberfeldwebel Geburtsdatum: 10.04.1917 Geburtsort: Mönchengladbach Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 28.08.1944 Todes-/Vermisstenort: nicht verzeichnet

P Alvim 3rd June 2008 23:55

Hello,

Certainly not a big help(!) but a Me 262 Erprobungskommando in Poland at that date seems a bit odd...
Could be any other sort of jet/rocket or unit ?

Btw Jan Bobek - which aircraft those pilots were flying ?

Franek Grabowski 4th June 2008 02:42

There was a Luftwaffe proving ground at Udetfeld which is just north of Katowice/Kattowitz. Brzeg/Brieg is about 100 kms away, so no distance for Me 262, apart of that there was a big air base there.

Charles Bavarois 4th June 2008 07:16

Hello Horst,

I got a loss report dating 10.3.1945 for a certain Ofw Wilhelm Brune. He was a member of the Luftwaffe, "kommandiert zu Messerschmitt, Regensburg", so perhaps an Einflieger for Me 262s.

He was born 23.6.1914 at Eddinghausen (?) and married to his wife Sigrid.
Is this the guy you are looking for?

Carl

Horst Kube 4th June 2008 08:20

Thank you all for your search and help.

I pass your informations now to the family of Brunen, clear the date of his birth and come back to you as soon as possible.

All the best, Horst

Andreas Brekken 4th June 2008 13:26

Hi.

No loss with the family name Brunen reported for Schulen und sonstige in July - mid September 1944.

Regards,
Andreas B