Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   100th Anniversary of the Red Baron's Death (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50971)

Edward L. Hsiao 13th April 2018 06:48

100th Anniversary of the Red Baron's Death

Gentlemen,

For all you Red Baron fans out there,April 21st 2018 marks the somber 100th anniversary of Manfred von Richthofen's death. He was killed in action by ground fire while flying his red Fokker Dr. I Triplane over British lines on April 21st 1918. He had 80 air to air victories to his credit. I wonder if Germany would have a rememberance of Richthofen's death for this year? In my mind Manfred von Richthofen was and still is the most famous fighter pilot of WWI and I salute him.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao 22nd April 2018 06:52

Re: 100th Anniversary of the Red Baron's Death

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Today on April 21st,2018 where ever I see a red car,and wearing my red jacket and thinking about a red Coast Guard helicopter that sometimes patrol the coast,they reminded me of the Red Baron. The legend of the Red Baron continues on. Snoopy and the Red Baron,Red Baron Pizza,Red Baron Real State,and few others. Manfred von Richthofen met a violent end on that April 21st day 100 years ago. I think anything red today reminds me of that red Fokker Dr. I Triplane that Richthofen few over the Western Front.

Edward L. Hsiao

Edward L. Hsiao 16th May 2018 05:31

Today I saw a red Coast Guard helicopter flying over Waldport,Oregon where I live. I said to myself that's the 'Red Baron'! I am not so sure why all Coast Guard helicopter are painted mostly red. By the way,the Fokker Dr. I which Manfred von Richthofen crashed to his death was not painted all red at all. I think under the three wings of his triplane were painted sky blue to match the color of the blue sky. Manfred von Richthofen was born in May of 1892,126 years ago.

Edward L. Hsiao

Teresa Maria 22nd May 2018 12:24

May he rest in peace.

knusel 31st May 2018 20:42

Dear Edward,

you may know that today any patriotism is socially forbidden in Germany. Merkel's media only tell us again and again how bad Germany is.
A person who cherishes Manfred von Richthofen would immediately be chastised as "Nazi".

Michael

Nick Hector 1st June 2018 11:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by knusel (Post 252697)
Dear Edward,

you may know that today any patriotism is socially forbidden in Germany. Merkel's media only tell us again and again how bad Germany is.
A person who cherishes Manfred von Richthofen would immediately be chastised as "Nazi".

Michael

How terrible that must be...
...for the people who actually live there

knusel 4th June 2018 17:59

Good afternoon Edward,

as a passionate collector of top-aces-by-plane one of the most interesting Richthofen facts to me is that he tops the list of Albatros D.III aces:

rank/name/Albatros D.III kills(total)
1. Manfred von Richthofen 34(80)
2. Kurt Wolff 31(33)
3. Karl Allmenröder 29(30)
4. Werner Voß 28(48)
5. Emil Schäfer 26(30)
6. Curt Wüsthoff 26(27)
7. Lothar von Richthofen 24(40)
8. Benno Fiala von Fernbrugg 20(28)
9. Otto Bernert 20(27)
10. Rudolf Berthold 19(44)

Kind regards,