Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   'LB' in Flugbuch (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=44100)

Tim O. 6th February 2016 13:03

'LB' in Flugbuch

Hi guys

I have a typed summary of flights that was created in 1944 for an airman recommended for the Knight's Cross and drawn from his Flugbuch. Several entries start with the abbreviation 'LB'. Although he was from a reconnaissance unit I am assuming this is short for 'Luftbomben'. Examples are:

'LB. Leningrad u. Kronstadt (Angriff) Flugplätze, Flak u. Jägerä

'LB. der Ladogaseeflotte u. Schiffsverkehr in der Wolchowmündung, Überwachung des Hafens Leningrad, schwere Flak und Jäger'

'LB. Kronstadt u. Leningrad, Newa Flak'

Would you agree 'LB' is for 'Luftbomben'?

Thanks for the help.

Kaczmarek 6th February 2016 13:30

Re: 'LB' in Flugbuch

Hi Tim,

'Luftbomben' makes no sense for me. I think it could be 'Luftraumbeobachtung' or Airspace Observing. This would be a connection to a recco unit. Only a idea.

Rgds,
Kaczmarek

Tim O. 6th February 2016 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaczmarek (Post 213563)
Hi Tim,

'Luftbomben' makes no sense for me. I think it could be 'Luftraumbeobachtung' or Airspace Observing. This would be a connection to a recco unit. Only a idea.

Rgds,
Kaczmarek

Thanks Kaczmarek. That makes a lot of sense. I am slightly confused by the 'Angriff' in brackets in the first entry quoted. Have you any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help.

Kaczmarek 6th February 2016 13:42

Hi Tim,

Perhaps the crew flew on observing mission in connection with a attack on Leningrad and Kronstadt airfields. To the documentation of the effect of the attack. Reported of flak and fighter activity.

Rgds,
Kaczmarek

Andrei Demjanko 6th February 2016 13:50

LB means Lichtbild or lichtgebildet- ie photograph or photographed

Tim O. 6th February 2016 13:56

Thank you very much Kaczmarek and Andrei.

Another term used is 'Gefechtsaufklärung'. Is that best translated as 'battle reconnaissance' or 'armed reconnaissance'.

Thank you for all the help.

Andrei Demjanko 6th February 2016 14:02

Yes, battle reconnaissance (My understanding this is the German term for Tactical Reconnaissance). Armed reconnaissance = bewaffnete Aufklärung

Tim O. 6th February 2016 14:05

Thank you Andrei. That is really helpful.

Norbert Schuchbauer 6th February 2016 17:53

Actually LB is Luftbild.

Regards,
Norbert

Larry deZeng 6th February 2016 19:42

Norbert S. is correct, according to:

[British Air Ministry] Manual of German Air Force Terminology. German - English. Administrative and General Terms. London: n.d. (but either 1945 or 1946). See Part VI: Abbreviations, p.46.

L.