Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51485)

Elenaz 4th July 2018 14:14

crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
hi,
I'm looking for information on the crash of a Me 109 of the Nahaufklärungsgruppe 11 crashed in an air combat with the 350FG on February 23, 1945 in Italy. I am looking for a database of Na.Gr.11, but without results. Can someone help me?

Thank's Elena

Charles Bavarois 4th July 2018 16:05

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Hello Elena,

this may be Fw. Ludwig Soukup from 1st Staffel NAGr 11, mia in the area Padua-Vicenza after Luftkampf. He was flying a Bf 109G6/R2 with MW30 device (sic), Werknummer 230.164 coded "black 10".

WASt reports 23. February 1945, GQM has 25. February 1945.

HTH
Carl

Nick Beale 4th July 2018 16:20

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elenaz (Post 254292)
hi,
I am looking for a database of Na.Gr.11, but without results. Can someone help me?

Thank's Elena

If you want a fuller account of this incident, including firsthand testimony from the American airmen involved, there's this book: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...taly&kn=&isbn=

Stig Jarlevik 4th July 2018 22:00

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Beale (Post 254305)
If you want a fuller account of this ncident, including firsthand testimony from the American airmen involved, there's this book: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...taly&kn=&isbn=

Very odd so many books are still on sale, but many sellers do seem to acknowledge its value.
The best book in English so far from the period it covers.
If anyone does not have it, get it, or wait for MAW to reach 1944-45 in Italy

Cheers
Stig

Elenaz 5th July 2018 17:45

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Thanks Charles and Nick for your help.
It is precious!

Elena

ouidjat 5th July 2018 18:00

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
More precisely, Fw. Ludwig Soukup was declared MIA in GQM then Dead in Wast reports.
He fought against 346th FG (not 350), F/O Hosey.

Nick Beale 5th July 2018 18:28

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouidjat (Post 254372)
More precisely, Fw. Ludwig Soukup was declared MIA in GQM then Dead in Wast reports.
He fought against 346th FG (not 350), F/O Hosey.

More precisely the 346th Fighter Squadron of the 350th FG. My late friend Ferdinando D'Amico corresponded extensively with veterans of the 350th FG and, I believe, met a few of them when they visited Italy. He had diary entries (personal and official) and letters relating to this engagement and the other one that day (with the Me 410) which formed the basis of the account in the book.

ouidjat 5th July 2018 20:14

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
:) Oups ... Thank you for the correction Nick.
I read my documents too quickly.

Schenck 6th July 2018 19:13

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stig Jarlevik (Post 254326)
Very odd so many books are still on sale, but many sellers do seem to acknowledge its value.
The best book in English so far from the period it covers.
If anyone does not have it, get it, or wait for MAW to reach 1944-45 in Italy

Cheers
Stig

For some reason, my favourite book full stop. And the one that aroused my interest in the research of ULTRA. If only he was kind to advise me not to waste years of my life (and eyesight) on DEFE3 and move instead on HW5. ;)

Nick Beale 6th July 2018 20:16

Re: crash of Me 109 - 2./Na.Gr11 in Italy
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schenck (Post 254432)
For some reason, my favourite book full stop. And the one that aroused my interest in the research of ULTRA. If only he was kind to advise me not to waste years of my life (and eyesight) on DEFE3 and move instead on HW5. ;)

HW5 hadn't been released when we worked on "AWI 1944–45" and DEFE 3 wasn't microfilmed, let alone put online! After only 31 years of working on ULTRA material, I really haven't got that far into it yet.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:19.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, 12oclockhigh.net