Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=48714)

Faenor 23rd July 2017 07:09

E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940

Hi all,

during searching on e-by, there I found this 2 photo of Hurricane:

1) http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-abgescho...3D382152206549
looks like burned during withdrawal from France May/June 1940

2) http://www.ebay.de/itm/Original-Foto...3D382152206549
cover shields over exhaust - probably later time?

thanks to all for sharing all information with this machines...

Faenor

Chris Goss 23rd July 2017 08:51

Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940

First one is Roger Bushel's Spitfire lost 23 May 40 & has been for sale for many months

Graham Boak 23rd July 2017 12:37

The Hurricane appears to have a Rotol prop with the later spinner, and the longer wing/nose fairing of a Mk.II.

Faenor 24th July 2017 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Goss (Post 236892)
First one is Roger Bushel's Spitfire lost 23 May 40 & has been for sale for many months

Hello Mr. Goss,

I´m not expert, but:
1) profile of the wings - its not Spitfire
2) look at the position of right undercarriage leg - again, its not Spitfire
3) left wing gun bay
4)different shape and position of propeller blades like Roger Bushel´s Spit

From my point of view, the 1st photo is Hurry, not a Spit

For the 2nd photo - there is probably photo of same plane from left side - source is old e-bay

Faenor

Graham Boak 24th July 2017 08:17

I must admit to not looking at the first photo, but now agree that it is a Hurricane. The prop is clearly Rotol with its thick roots but the aircraft lacks the oil spill ring behind the spinner. If it is a Mk.I, then it is an unusual spinner.

Chris Goss 24th July 2017 10:48

Stand corrected. Closer look at the Bushell crash shows it flat on its belly

Faenor 24th July 2017 12:42

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Boak (Post 236943)
I must admit to not looking at the first photo, but now agree that it is a Hurricane. The prop is clearly Rotol with its thick roots but the aircraft lacks the oil spill ring behind the spinner. If it is a Mk.I, then it is an unusual spinner.

Hello Mr. Boak,

agree with your comment and there are other 2 photos - probably on same plane (look at the blades position) .... probably one from many Hurries, which were left in France .....

Faenor

kaki3152 24th July 2017 15:05

I have a round twenty or so pictures of wrecked Hurricanes in France, taken [presumably] by Wehrmacht personnel. Unfortunately, in most cases,the fabric has been stripped, making identification impossible.
BTW, it seems every shot bown Battle was photographed at one point or another, from the amount of photographs that regularly appear on German E-Bay.

Faenor 25th July 2017 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaki3152 (Post 236964)
I have a round twenty or so pictures of wrecked Hurricanes in France, taken [presumably] by Wehrmacht personnel. Unfortunately, in most cases,the fabric has been stripped, making identification impossible.
BTW, it seems every shot bown Battle was photographed at one point or another, from the amount of photographs that regularly appear on German E-Bay.

Hi kaki3152,

I have in one file about 200 photos of Hurricane wrecks. In this time, I´m in process of sorting them, so, if there is somebody with interesting in this area, pls contact me via PM and we can change and share information.

From my side its just a hobby, I´m not professional historian....

Faenor

vvkj41 25th July 2017 10:15

Hi guys,

Have in mind that most of the 48 Royal Yugoslav Hurricanes were also burned on the auxiliary airfields by its crews during short 1941 April war. First presented ebay photo looks much alike machine from 4.Fighter Regiment VVKJ burned at Bosanski Aleksandrovac (44° 56' 55" N, 17° 20' 58" E) auxiliary airfield in Bosnia. Position of the Hurricane with starboard u/c leg extracted and terrain in the background is almost perfect match to the photo that I saw few years ago. Inscription on the back of the photo was in German, something like: ....... abgestürzten Flugzeug - B. Aleksandrovac, only the Hurricane was more devastated.
Yugoslav Hurricanes are “rare birds” among photos of burned or destroyed ones at ebay, but they should not be excluded as possibility.

Best
Aleks