Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ghostbombers updates (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=5033)

Nick Beale 4th June 2006 19:59

Ghostbombers updates

I've just posted some new material to my website:

http://www.ghostbombers.com/updates.html

A selection of messages about the transfer of IV./KG 27 to a new airfield; the shooting down a a Ju 188 from 11./KG 2; and a detailed strength return for IV./KG 1 showing a diverse collection of aircraft types.

An extensive addition to the NSG 9 pages about the arrival of Ju 87s with 6Q+N_ codes in February/March 1944.

An addition to the NSG 9 pages about the 1. Staffel's deployment to the battle front in March 1944.

Nick Beale 9th October 2008 22:41

Re: Ghostbombers updates

New things added to ghostbombers.com tonight (local time) include:
  • An addition to the article on I./JG 2 in Italy describing No. 253's role in the 52nd FG's clash with I./JG 2 on 19 March 1944.
  • a redesigned "complete works" page with several new illustrations.
  • a redesigned home page (tested with Safari and Firefox but it probably won't work properly for IE5 users).
  • correction of a circa 15-year-old error in the appendices to the Operation Dragoon article.
Two more additions are dealt with in other threads.

Nick Beale 17th October 2008 21:53

New things added to ghostbombers.com tonight (local time) include:
  • An update to The Luftwaffe and Saint-Exupéry article, incorporating research done in the last few weeks (see the thread on that topic).
  • A small addition to the article on The Bf 109 H in service with 5.(F)/123 reflecting debate on TOCH about the type of engine it had.
  • Fixed the navigation of Kommando Sommer: the road to Italy so that you can now get to the last page.

Nick Beale 23rd November 2008 23:21

Aside from the Bf 109 H material (see separate thread) there are:
  • NSG 9 (Chapter 7): information about the rescue of Fw. Karl Razinski from his crashed Ju 87 (complimenting the story already there of his pilot's escape from the wreckage).
  • II./NJG 6 in Italy: a new report about a Bf 110 shot down on 2/3 June 1944, including its tactical code.
  • Using Ultra: minor updates.

John Beaman 24th November 2008 20:07

Superb work, Nick, as usual. Thanks for the hard work. those who have not worked with ULTRA or Intelligence files have no idea how tedious it is!

John

Nick Beale 8th February 2009 18:54

There are now several additions to the article on I./JG 2 in Italy. These include two "new" missions and a Bf 109 loss and are drawn from a 4. Staffel pilot's Flugbuch. This information is thanks to Erik Mombeek whose work on JG 2 is considerably more ambitious than mine.

George Hopp 10th February 2009 00:42

Sorry Nick, but I don't see any changes that you have made to the engine carried by the 109H. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, the designation of the engine as a DB 605GS was a perfectly valid one.

Nick Beale 14th April 2009 22:37

Re: Ghostbombers updates (April 2009)

I've just posted the first updates to my site for a couple of months:
  • A new article: II./SG 10 in Yugoslavia, November 1944
  • A new graphic added to page 4 of the Using Ultra article
  • Corrections to an appendix of The Stuka on the Scrapheap article
The II./SG 10 article relates to an earlier thread on TOCH by the way.

RT 17th April 2009 13:18

About Steffen lost on 24.th febr., you posted it as he was Bf/bs but a steffen was quoted as missing on 1.nov.44 with same unit, returned later to his unit the same ??

Remi

Nick Beale 17th April 2009 23:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RT (Post 84621)
About Steffen lost on 24.th febr., you posted it as he was Bf/bs but a steffen was quoted as missing on 1.nov.44 with same unit, returned later to his unit the same ??

Remi

Your guess is as good as mine.

The Personalverlustmeldung that I used as a source for the article says that Oblt. Steffen was «Bordfu.» who failed to return from a mission to the Linnich area on 24.2.45 and that his fate was unknown. The Gen.Qu. 6. Abt. loss return for that date also says he is a «Bf.» and the he is missing.

What is your source for his being posted missing on 1 November 1944?

RT 18th April 2009 10:23

The info come from Christian Möller, but guys are different as the late Steffen was oblt/hptm nd Nachrichtenoffizier b. Stab, presum. flew to gain experience/knowledge/fun/....

Remi

Nick Beale 21st May 2009 23:48

On my website I've just made some additions (including an image of a wartime document) to the article about Kommando Sommer.

Nick Beale 10th April 2010 23:32

Re: Ghost Bombers website updates

I've just posted the latest Ghost Bombers updates, rather more of them than usual:
  • Added to Jagdgruppe 200 in Provence: June–August 1944: a new page (linking from his victory claim on 14 July) about Lt. Heinz Moschke's service with the unit.
  • Added to Sonderstaffel Kaatsch: Lt. Moschke's flights with the Staffel and his fate; also a few words about the subsequent flying careers of Lt. Kurt Bell and Ofw. Eduard Isken. Besides that, I've converted all the times in the article from GMT to German local time.
  • Complete overhaul of the layout and navigation of NSG 9; new content added for Chapters 2, 4, 6, 9, 10 (multiple items), 12 (multiple items), 14 and the Appendices (multiple items).

Nick Beale 14th May 2010 19:21

Updates to the Ghost Bombers website over the past week:
  • The pages on Nahaufklärungsgruppe 13 in May 1944 and those about the Me 262 with 1./NAG 1 have been redesigned.
  • Small addtion to the "Using Ultra …" article, about German alphabetical characters.
  • Complete redesign of the pages on "Bf 109 G-14/AS versus Fw 190 A-9", "From Bf 109 G-14 to K-4", "10./ZG 1" and "The Bf 109 G with III./JG 7."
  • Complete redesign of "I./JG 2 in Italy" with some small additions to the events of 17 and 18 March 1944.

Nick Beale 11th July 2010 18:52

I've finally completed the latest updates to the Ghost Bombers website: a complete redesign of the article on Schlachtgeschwader 4: last battles in Italy, including quite a lot of additional material on the combat of 13 May 1944.

Nick Beale 27th August 2010 19:41

Latest updates to the Ghost Bombers website:
  • The Schlachtflieger pages and the SG 4 in Normandy article are now in the wider page layout
  • so are all the Kampfflieger Vol. 4 pages.
  • there are changes to the layouts of the Complete Works page and the Using Ultra article.
  • Numerous corrections to page layouts and restoration of links.

RolandF 29th August 2010 20:15

Lots of thanks for updating your pages, Mr Beale!
Hopefully all this new material will result in a new book about an unknown chapter of WW2 aviation...

Regards

RolandF (owner of "Ghost Bombers"

Nick Beale 29th August 2010 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RolandF (Post 112720)
Lots of thanks for updating your pages, Mr Beale!
Hopefully all this new material will result in a new book about an unknown chapter of WW2 aviation...

Regards

RolandF

Thanks very much.

Unfortunately for aviation book-publishing, words are not enough. So if you know of 200 high-quality, unpublished photos on a Luftwaffe theme, please let me know! At least the web offers an outlet for things that would not be viable for a publisher to print.

Nick Beale 1st September 2010 20:09

Latest updates to the Ghostbombers website:
  • The Stab/JG 77 War Diary is now in the wider page layout, with a new page added about events during their deployment to Tulln, Austria on 8 July 1944.

Nick Beale 19th September 2010 23:21

Latest updates to the Ghost Bombers website:
  • New Kampfflieger Vol. 4 page about the part played by II./KG 26 against the Vercors uprising on 14 July , plus anti-partisan operations by III./KG 26 on 15 and 17 July 1944.
  • Complete rewrite and redesign of the Operation Dragoon pages.
  • Various minor corrections.

Nick Beale 9th October 2010 22:38

The latest Ghost Bombers update:
  • a short article about Nachtjagdstaffel Finnland/Norwegen, including a strength return of 18 November 1944 giving the Werk Nummern of its ten aircraft.

ju55dk 10th October 2010 09:52

A big thank you Nick:).

Junker

Kari Lumppio 13th October 2010 13:06

Hello!

Once again marvellous piece of research, Nick!

I wonder if any photo of the He 219 B4+AA has surfaced yet? The +AA at Denmark post-war is said have no relation to NJ-Staffel Norwegen (but what it is then?). Do you know anything more of this issue, Junker?

Regards,
Kari

edNorth 13th October 2010 15:50

Interesting, the Ju 88 C-6 360176 was C9+AE (V/NJG 5) thougt was or had been the personal aircraft of ace´Prinz zo Sayn. Wittgestein in 1942/1943. FB Leichsenring records this with this code in April 1943. No fate yet recorded.

ed

ju55dk 18th October 2010 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kari Lumppio (Post 115263)
Hello!

Once again marvellous piece of research, Nick!

I wonder if any photo of the He 219 B4+AA has surfaced yet? The +AA at Denmark post-war is said have no relation to NJ-Staffel Norwegen (but what it is then?). Do you know anything more of this issue, Junker?

Regards,
Kari

Hi Kari.

I'm beginning to suspect that +AA in Kastrup could indeed be the Njst. Norwegen Maschine.

Junker

Nick Beale 10th November 2010 21:22

Latest updates to Ghost Bombers:
  • Several additions to Nachtjagdstaffel Finnland/Norwegen, thanks to Rod McKenzie, Marcel Hogenhuis and my latest trip to the National Archives.
  • Layout revisions and minor corrections to II./NJG 6 in Italy.

ju55dk 11th November 2010 12:27

Hi Nick.

Great work:-)

Junker

Russell 11th November 2010 13:53

The book "Stirlings in Action with the Airborne Forces", by Dennis Williams, Pen & Sword, has on page 277 a photo of a machine gun breech, identified as being from S Sugar of 620 Sqn, lost over Norway on 28/29 December 1944. On it is an inscription. "Abschuss am 28.12.44. Hauptmann Vogt."
Regards
Russell

Nick Beale 27th December 2010 14:24

The latest updates to my website, posted today, are:
  • A substantial expansion of the Kommando Schenck article, including an analysis of published accounts of when the unit's Me 262s first arrived in France and went into action, plus some conclusions of my own.
  • Correction to the Jagdgruppe 200 article re the Werk Nummer of a Bf 109 abandoned at Aix-Les-Milles. (Thanks to Franck for spotting that).
  • Minor corrections to the I./JG 2 in Italy article.

Nick Beale 9th February 2011 22:06

Posted this evening:
  • A new article, based on Ultra, about Kampfgruppe 100's arrival in France in August 1940 and its first four weeks of operations there. No promises but this may prove to be the first of in series on aspects of the air fighting over Britain and France in 1940. It all depends on how many oportunities I get for the necessary for research how the material turns out.
  • Minor corrections and layout changes to several pages throughout the site.

Marcel Hogenhuis 15th February 2011 13:43

Hello Nick,

Interesting article about KGr.100 (though my main interest is I./NJG 1) and I was suprised to see the name of Dr. Kühnhold > it could be the same person who was involved with Jägerleitstellung Teerose near Arnhem in 1942/1943, I must check my archives to see where I have read about him.

Just a minor detail but an interesting one. All the best,

Marcel Hogenhuis

steve sheridan 16th February 2011 10:21

Hi Nick, a fantastic look and the complexities of how a Luftwaffe bomber group functions on a day to day basis. Excellent work so far, looking forward to further extracts.

Best regs,
Steve.

steve sheridan 20th March 2011 16:16

Hi Nick, will there be any further excerpts of Kampfgruppe 100's activities from the Ultra files to come?
I found the information in the first extract really interesting, and illustrates the daily life of an operational bomber unit.

Best regs,
Steve.

Nick Beale 20th March 2011 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve sheridan (Post 124678)
Hi Nick, will there be any further excerpts of Kampfgruppe 100's activities from the Ultra files to come?
I found the information in the first extract really interesting, and illustrates the daily life of an operational bomber unit.

Best regs,
Steve.

There probably will be more Steve (through to the Coventry Blitz?) but as I've indicated, KGr. 100's change of subordination seemed to cut off the supply of ops reports. From what I can see, the traffic about aircraft repair and replacement continues unabated though.

A lot of things have to happen before I do that: (a) get over bout of flu; (b) have holiday; (c) rotate and crop 2,000 images from last trip to Kew; and possibly (d) retire — a happy state I hope to achieve this summer.

That's not to mention a couple of other themes I think I can develop from the 1940 Ultras. Later this year I'd hope to photograph the 1940 files I haven't got yet — see (d) above!

steve sheridan 20th March 2011 18:20

Hi Nick, sorry to hear your feeling under the weather ( a), my sympathies to you, ive just got over the very same!
It would appear you have quite a lot on this year, i would be very interested to see more in the line of a/c repair and replacement stuff, also the information through to the Coventry Blitz period.

My very best wishes to you and please keep us posted!

Steve.

Nick Beale 11th May 2011 00:22

I've just posted updates to Ghostbombers.com as follows:
  • Addition to the Kampfgruppe 100 article, about operations on the night of 20/21 August 1940.
  • A new article about NAG 6 and the Me 262.
  • Small corrections and additions to the 1./NAG 1 article.
  • New information about an NSG 9 veteran.
  • Minor corrections and layout changes throughout the site, as usual.

Jaap Woortman 11th May 2011 10:14

Nick,

Interesting article about NAG 6. I was hoping to find some information about Me 262 W.Nr. 111636.
See: http://www.ghostbombers.com/dd.16-8-2007
W.Nr.111636 reported serviceable at 08.00 hrs. on 22 February.
On 24 March, Adjutant reported that WNr. 111636 had been taken over by NAG 6 and took off that day.
The plane was found at Twente in April 1945.

Jaap

Nick Beale 11th May 2011 11:04

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaap Woortman (Post 127633)
Nick,

Interesting article about NAG 6. I was hoping to find some information about Me 262 W.Nr. 111636.
See: http://www.ghostbombers.com/dd.16-8-2007
W.Nr.111636 reported serviceable at 08.00 hrs. on 22 February.
On 24 March, Adjutant reported that WNr. 111636 had been taken over by NAG 6 and took off that day.
The plane was found at Twente in April 1945.

Jaap

Thanks, I should have mentioned that. That's the first correction to the article, then.

steve sheridan 16th May 2011 01:00

Hi Nick, forgive me if im wrong but have you added the additional article featuring Kampfgruppe 100 ops 20/21.8.40 ?
I dont see any article for this date.

Best regs,
Steve.

Nick Beale 16th May 2011 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve sheridan (Post 127928)
Hi Nick, forgive me if im wrong but have you added the additional article featuring Kampfgruppe 100 ops 20/21.8.40 ?
I dont see any article for this date.

Best regs,
Steve.

It was only some additional detail that I added to the existing material, not a new article. I did it back in February (I was gradually accumulating things for this latest update), so I can't even remember what it was now but it wasn't enough to justify an update by itself.