Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Battle of Britain Bf109E found in India a few years ago? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=14146)

Larry Hickey 16th August 2008 08:58

Battle of Britain Bf109E found in India a few years ago?

Hello,

Does anyone know what happened to the Bf109E that was located at a school in India a few years ago? Was it ever definitively identified, and did any photos of it ever surface, especially in its markings at the time it was brought into the country? Who knows anything about this?

Thanx,

Andy Saunders 16th August 2008 09:38

Re: Battle of Britain Bf109E found in India a few years ago?

Larry

The answer is yes. I cannot currently access my files due to domestic upheaval of decorating but the pilot was Xavier Ray as I recall. Doubtless others will come back with more, but you will be able to find it from that alone.

You may wish to PM me as the matter of this Me 109 is a little sensitive.

robert_schulte 16th August 2008 10:31

According to an article in the German magazine "Klassiker der Luftfahrt" from 2003 it was a BF 109 E-1 with the Werknummer 4034.
It belonged to 8./JG53 and Andy is correct that it was flown by Xavier Ray. He had to make an emergency landing near Lower Hardress on 2. November 1940.
In the magazine, there is a picture of the remains of the plane where a dark coloured "5" on the fuselage is visible.

Best wishes
Robert

phil 16th August 2008 11:43

as i have dificulties to put picture on this cite maybe someone can send me his email address so i can forward the pictures of that 109 in india-nepal coz i have some pictures, and you can put them on this cite?

i can be contacted at
stuka12003@yahoo.co.nz

Chris Goss 16th August 2008 12:27

Larry: I contacted Ray a number of years ago but before you ask, no photos apart from one of himself

Peter D Evans 16th August 2008 13:03

Afternoon all...

I too would be interested to know where this airframe is at the moment.

This maybe old news to some of the more established members here, but we had a similar thread over on the the LEMB here which includes a couple of interesting links...

Cheers
Peter D Evans
LEMB Administrator

phil 16th August 2008 13:11

i heard rumors that it was sold to england but to who?

Andy Saunders 16th August 2008 13:54

It is in the UK pending restoration and currently in storage. Registered to an owner in the Channel Islands.

Franek Grabowski 16th August 2008 14:34

Sensitive? Indians claim that it was obtained and brought out of India illegally. Jagan, who visits the board, should provide more details.

phil 16th August 2008 14:47

its possible ? the right men on the right place, in Belgrade they had numerous stuka parts still in good condition one of the museum members sold it illigaly also seems to have moved also to england? as what i heard from ?