Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   wreck identification - engine pictures (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=49497)

Epinephelus 18th October 2017 15:49

wreck identification - engine pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Hi everyone!

I'm new here. With some friends, we try to identify wrecks (or only parts of them sometimes brought by fishermen) in order to build histories of these relics. I admit we are far better experienced in ships than in planes, so we need help.

First riddle to solve: there's a twin-engine plane that was long supposed to be a Bristol Blenheim, but we have recently obtained other informations that allow to think it could be a ju-88 or a ju-188. The wreck is in a very bad shape and partly covered by sand. Both engines are remaining, but propellers have been removed some decades ago. Here are pictures of one engine that is about 1.2-1.3 m wide and 2.6-2.7 m long. The wing (no more flap) is about 2.4 m wide.

I hope someone could help!

Broncazonk 19th October 2017 05:14

Re: Wreck Identification - Engine Pictures

When it comes to underwater wrecks, focus on the motor mounts. Photograph and document those. Put scale in all the photos. Motor mounts are large, robust, obvious parts...and they are 100% diagnostic to manufacturer and aircraft type. Concentrate on those.

Bronc

Epinephelus 22nd October 2017 15:46

Re: wreck identification - engine pictures

Thank you Bronc. Next time we'll have to dive with a shovel and a toolbox instead of a weightbelt...

What seems to be exhaust systems can't allow any hypothesis? It seems it can't be Jumo 211 engine. But what about a BMW one, even though outlets are circular? I have found no picture on the web corresponding to this.

Martin388 29th October 2017 20:03

Looks more like a radial engine, bot Jumo 211 or DB. BMW 132, Bramo ?
Exhaust pipes look more like BMW 801.

ChrisMAg2 30th October 2017 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin388 (Post 241939)
Exhaust pipes look more like BMW 801.

If photo Nr.2 is meant, I would want to second this statement. The engine could the be a radial engine BMW801A (arrangement of the exhaust pipes) or more likelier (exhaust end flares) a BMW801E for twin engined a/c. That leads me to suggest, the a/c would then be more likely a Do217E or Do217K.
A Ju88A or C/ Ju188 -as suggested earlier- would have a Jumo 211/ 213 inline engine.

hervelevano 2nd November 2017 12:16

Hi everyone,

any chance that it could be an english engine ?

hervé

Snautzer 2nd November 2017 12:35

With the absence of visible details it could be anything i'm afraid.

Epinephelus 3rd November 2017 10:30

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures of the tail taken some years ago when it was still in place. Could the plane be laying on its back?
I'm sorry there's no scale: the diver who took these pics never thought they would be used years later to identify the plane. Nethertheless, thanks to details on another photo (diver's equipment), dimensions of the remaining wing on the right on both pics could be approximately 1.3 m long and 0.65 m wide.

Snautzer 3rd November 2017 20:21

The service ports/ inspection hatches positions are a good point to start comparing.
First things first wing Blenheim pic 1 Ju88 pic 2 By the wreck a part of it goes beyond the flap.

Snautzer 3rd November 2017 21:46

Looks a bit like this N-A B25 Michell Pic 3 or Douglas A20 Havoc pic 4