Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Losses of GRB No. 1 "Lorraine" in North Africa (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=257)

Laurent Rizzotti 19th January 2005 10:28

Hi Klemen,

Well, you're right. I posted several times on the forum "Pacific War 1941-1945", even if I am usually only able to ask there, not to answer. A really active and helpful forum IMOO.

As far as I know, you adresses are good. I would not write "Monsieur le Chef", except if this is asked on official documents, or it is the agreed costum. I did my military service there in 1996-97, and at the time the "chef" was a general while letter queries were usually treated by a sergent-chef (Warrant Officer) and never went higher than a captain.

Maybe I answered too fast, now that you have said it, I don't remember clearly where the WWII personnal files of the Legion may be. Other Army formations are in Vincennes.

The pm arrived. I'm afraid I won't be able to provide you any answer for the moment. I just started a new job and so can't visit the archives (closed on week-ends) and have nothing about this period on my books and files. Will add this to my "open questions" list...

Regards

klemen 20th January 2005 21:23

Quote:

Well, you're right. I posted several times on the forum "Pacific War 1941-1945", even if I am usually only able to ask there, not to answer. A really active and helpful forum IMOO.
Thank you for your kind words, Laurent. We are as much active as some larger forums, but most of the people who ask questions eventually get the answers they were looking for and I guess this is well accepted by all. Anyway I hope to see you more on the forum in the forthcoming months. :wink:

Quote:

As far as I know, you adresses are good. I would not write "Monsieur le Chef", except if this is asked on official documents, or it is the agreed costum.
OK, Laurent. No "Monsieur le Chef" then. The address to the SHAA is correct or need any updates?

Quote:

I did my military service there in 1996-97, and at the time the "chef" was a general while letter queries were usually treated by a sergent-chef (Warrant Officer) and never went higher than a captain.
I see. I guess you worked hard but also enjoyed that year in the archive. But may I ask if the sender of the request for his relative's service records need to pay any fee (if so, how much?) and do you need to prove that you are a relative of this man whose records you are looking for or can you just order them? I have heard that in German archives you need to have all kinds of approval before you can order military service records of a certain serviceman. I don't know how this is taken care in France though.

Quote:

Maybe I answered too fast, now that you have said it, I don't remember clearly where the WWII personnal files of the Legion may be. Other Army formations are in Vincennes.
I was right on this. You have to write now to the Legion's Museum & Archive in Marseille (address given in my previous message). I am left wondering however how do you order service records of a legionnaire who fought under a fake name?

Quote:

The pm arrived. I'm afraid I won't be able to provide you any answer for the moment. I just started a new job and so can't visit the archives (closed on week-ends) and have nothing about this period on my books and files. Will add this to my "open questions" list...
No problem, Laurent. I wish you much luck on your new jobe and whenever you will have any free time to look for any data about my friend's uncle I (and I am sure he as well) will be very grateful to you.

BTW: He has just send me a letter yesterday. he has found some documents of his uncle during his time in the FFAF, including a permission issued by General Vallin and Bouscat by which they grant him the permission to marry his English girlfriend in March 1944. The document is signed by Gorri, the commander of the Group "Lorraine". This I believe is the nickname of Lt.Col. Michel Fourquet, am I right? By the way I don't know if this might be any helpful in your research for him but his registration (matricule) number in the FFAF was Nr. 35.272. He enlisted in the FFA in Beyrouth-Damascus on 12th September 1941. He joined the French Foreign Legion in Besancon on 8.4.1938. Friend also wrote that he has found some photos, including from the wedding. I hope he will be able to scan some of them.

Klemen

Laurent Rizzotti 21st January 2005 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by "klemen
OK, Laurent. No "Monsieur le Chef" then. The address to the SHAA is correct or need any updates?

Seems OK to me, AFAIK

Quote:

Quote:

I did my military service there in 1996-97, and at the time the "chef" was a general while letter queries were usually treated by a sergent-chef (Warrant Officer) and never went higher than a captain.
I see. I guess you worked hard but also enjoyed that year in the archive.

Actually it is easier for a "customer" to have access to the archives than for people doing their military period here (of course now there is no more military service in France but this was the case in 96-97). I actually learned far more in the SHAA and SHM (Navy) at the time and still continued to spend more time in these two services than in SHAT.

Quote:

But may I ask if the sender of the request for his relative's service records need to pay any fee (if so, how much?) and do you need to prove that you are a relative of this man whose records you are looking for or can you just order them? I have heard that in German archives you need to have all kinds of approval before you can order military service records of a certain serviceman. I don't know how this is taken care in France though.

Years ago, there were not fees (AFAIK). Don't know how it evolved, now that there are no more young underpaid soldiers to do the bigger work and should pay everybody.... But I would guess it is easier than in Germany. AFAIK German archives rules were reinforced to stop militaria collectors to find veteran's families. There is not a big market of French WWII militaria.