Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50820)

edwest2 23rd March 2018 03:55

Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Expected in April or May.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...ducts_id=10186

More information:

https://translate.google.com/transla...g/&prev=search

Usual disclaimer,
Ed

azapf1972 23rd March 2018 07:59

Re: Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Gentlefolks,

please be advise that this is a bit "premature". But only in the sense that the image presented is not the final cover. We (the publisher and me) had decided to hold back a bit until the website (www.nachtjagd-me262.org) holds the actual cover but hey...

As many of you know, I have spent a better part of the last five years on a research project covering "Kommando Welter" and 10./NJG11. I was reluctant to publish as a book first but the amount of information available grew too large to just "throw it out" so I finally decided to turn it into a book.

Attached is a map that shows most of the aircraft accidents and losses covered in the books (next to many other things), paying tribute to the crews that were injured, taken POW or lost their life far too early. I will share more information as it becomes available. If you are using Facebook, you can use this link to stay informed as well.

I have taken down my outdated information from www.kommando-welter.de and www.chronicles-of-the-luftwaffe.de to not confuse people. Any links that have been made to the sites in the past should remain valid, however.

For those interested, here is a translation of the German cover text:

“Late in the summer of 1944, the skies over the Reich were mostly dominated by the Allied air forces. The heavy bombers of the USAAF at day, the ones of the RAF at night. In addition more and more the fast deHavilland DH.98 ‘Mosquito’ of the Light Night Striking Force which can – with little to no opposition – road the skies over the German Cities more or less unchallenged. Besides the ever present Flak, there is not much they have to fear.

‘Not much’, however, is relative. With their fast and agile Messerschmitt Bf109, some specialized units such as the 10./JG300 and later II./NJG11 are operating especially against the fast ‘Wooden Wonder’. And starting December 1944, first nocturnal missions using the Me262 are added to the threat. Starting out as ‘Kommando Welter’ and being taken into regular operations as 10./NJG11 later, a handful of skilled pilots are flying the single-seated Me262A and later the Me262B-1a/U1 twin-seater to counter the nightly Mosquito attacks.

This book shines a light at the almost untold story of the Nachtjagd with the Me262. 596 pages, 160 b/w photos, 69 reproduced documents, 24 maps and flight maps are adding to a story reproduced from material hidden in archives around the world, flight logs, written accounts and many hours of personal discussions with those involved. Enjoy the untold story of a unique unit and their nocturnal stalking of the famous ‘Mosquito’”

Andreas

CortoM 23rd March 2018 11:33

@Andreas

Dein Buch werde ich auf alle Fälle kaufen!

laurent14 23rd March 2018 12:41

Looks impressive. The kind of book that I buy instantly... but in English.

edwest2 23rd March 2018 17:07

I'll buy it. The language I can translate.

Jukka Juutinen 23rd March 2018 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurent14 (Post 249611)
Looks impressive. The kind of book that I buy instantly... but in English.

Likewise here! I think Harald Rabeder has set an excellent example with his English edition of Knullenkopfstaffel.

Theo Boiten 23rd March 2018 19:09

Hi Andreas,

Excellent work -congratulations on the publication of this important work, which indeed will fill a gap in the existing historiography about the airwar in WWII, looking forward to reading it!

Cheers, Theo

azapf1972 23rd March 2018 20:01

All right, the web site has been updated to now show the actual cover art (the book cover, of course, is more crisp [reduced here on purpose] and contains a bit more text ;)

As for the much discussed English version: both, VDM as the publisher and myself, have an interest to see if we can interest an English-language publisher to make this available to everyone.

BUT: one step after another! The German version goes first (which is what we are currently putting our focus on) - and then we have a physical book in hand to see if we can find anyone interested in translating 600 pages...

Andreas

CortoM 24th March 2018 14:35

Das einzige was mir bei VDM etwas Sorge bereitet ist die Druckqualität (gerade die Bilder) Da hat IMHO Herr Urbanke (Luftwaffe Verlag Start) die Latte hoch gehängt.

John Beaman 24th March 2018 15:43

Guys English on this web site unless quoting from a wartime document!

azapf1972 24th March 2018 16:53

Quoting Corto: "Das einzige was mir bei VDM etwas Sorge bereitet ist die Druckqualität (gerade die Bilder) Da hat IMHO Herr Urbanke (Luftwaffe Verlag Start) die Latte hoch gehängt."

What he was saying is that he is a bit worried about the quality of the printed version, especially the images. And that Axel Urbanke has set a rather high standard on those.

On a personal note: I have been considering running this as a self-published version and actually grabbed my proof-reading copies off two different book-in-demand suppliers.

VDM is preparing an offset print and I will be in the nice position to directly compare the quality of the two side by side, especially looking at the images ;)

One needs to keep in mind though that the images used are 70+ years old in many cases and the quality of the original image is already limited. But we will see...

Andreas

edwest2 24th March 2018 18:42

Hello Andreas,

Check the DPI resolution of the paper. It doesn't matter how old the images are. If the paper can support better resolution, use it. If not, consider a semi-gloss or similar. I'm sure Axel Urbanke can advise you further.

Since photos can be scanned separately, find out what the correct DPI (dots per inch) is.

Best,
Ed

CortoM 25th March 2018 14:10

@all

sorry for german language in english forum.

@Andreas

thank you for translation and i wish you (and us ;-)) all the best for the printquality.

richdlc 25th March 2018 23:39

Andreas,

I am interested in discussing the possibility of publishing the book in English. As I cannot seem to send you a message on here, I'd be grateful if you could email me

rich.carrick@gmail.com

this is a genuine enquiry

regards
Rich

FFisch 26th March 2018 15:02

I'm really looking forward to the book Mosquitos about Berlin!
That the print quality at VDM is bad would be new to me. Have the complete airfields of the Luftwaffe series and am very satisfied with the quality, I think we should give the new book first a chance here is the author Although Zapf is but another as the new Mosquitos book. As far as printing quality is concerned, did not Mr. Ubanke print a book at VDM?
https://www.vdmedien24.de/MIT-FW-190...Z-Axel-Urbanke Best regards!

Just look at the publisher, you can pre-order it, date for delivery is on 21.04.2018.

https://www.vdmedien24.de/Zapf-Mosqu...-BF-109-Me-262

Many Regards!

Jayslater 28th March 2018 12:43

Andreas,

I may be very well in world rights bar Germany and am about to publish two German language books in English on Arado and Gotha. Could you please e-mail me: j.slater@fonthillmedia.com.

With very best wishes,

Jay

azapf1972 15th April 2018 12:25

1 Attachment(s)
We are getting closer to release now - "T-6" so to say. If anyone will make it to Speyer next Saturday (April 21, 2018), meet me at the VDM booth, hopefully with copies available then.

Andreas

PS: The new Jet&Prop has issued a backside ad for those that can read German (sorry...)

CortoM 16th April 2018 16:11

I will be in Speyer next Saturday. I hope I can buy a copy.

azapf1972 22nd April 2018 22:49

1 Attachment(s)
Just a heads-up for everyone - and it was great to meet some of you at Speyer personally.

Andreas

CortoM 23rd April 2018 16:56

yep it was nice to talk to you! (I am the guy with the blue NY polo shirt, who was in Joburg SA to see the last ME262 Doubleseater! And there was small impatient young boy by my side) I have not read the book yet. But I will give you a feedback!

Greetings

azapf1972 14th May 2018 15:00

Following the public availability, I had a "special project" to go along with: while talking to my primary source and friend Jorg Czypionka, the story of the night of March 27/28, 1945, was a reappearing topic that needed coverage. And while the book itself covers the night like any other night of combat, I wanted something "more personal".

The night is "special" in many cases - not because of the approx. 80 Mosquitos headed for Berlin - but for the fact that six Messerschmitt Me 262 were scrambled to intercept them. Amongst them - for the very first time - a Messerschmitt Me 262 B-1a/U1, the "Behelfsnachtjäger" [engl. interim Night Fighter].

Four of the Mosquitos were lost - two over the Netherlands, two more west of Berlin where they fell victim to two of the Me 262s. Jorg was one of the pilots downing a Mosquito and it was something that he had to chew on for many years to come. And even today, it bothers him - he looked at me and said "You know, I almost wanted them to see me so they could turn away into the night. The war was almost over - why shooting at two men? The Mosquito was a beautiful bird... but he did not see me and so I opened up."

He never liked the fact that he had to kill that night - so I wanted to find a way to tell his story - it is also the story of Fw. Karl-Heinz Becker (who shot down the second Mossie) and the crews that lost their lifes: F/LT André van Amsterdam (+) and S/LDR Harry Forbes (POW) in MM131, F/O Hudson (+) and F/O Gant (+) in RV326 and F/LT Value (+) and F/O Manning (+) in PF466. Unfortunately (again) in German, Jet&Prop 2/2018 will contain a 10-page article on the events of that night.

http://www.andreaszapf.de/blog-nj-me...8_Mosquito.png

azapf1972 23rd May 2018 09:36

Just to add for anyone who owns a copy of the book by now: there is a small errata document available on my website.You can either read it online or download a PDF at the end of the page.

Cheers,
Andreas

azapf1972 2nd November 2018 17:18

Time to go back to Speyer tomorrow, the International Aircraft Spare Parts Exchange is on. Sales are going well, I will be at the VDM Booth again, in case someone wants to touch base.

Besides the already published errata document, not much feedback (especially with respect to necessary corrections) has been received. But I got an interesting lead on one of the pilots of 10./NJG11 who's biographie so far is not very well covered (actually, I was approached by his son - a total surprise).

So in case anyone is in Speyer tomorrow: looking forward to seeing you!

Andreas

FalkeEins 8th December 2018 20:41

just posted on 'FalkeEins- the Luftwaffe blog'

Andreas Zapf on Moskitojagd, Kurt Welter and Me 262 night fighters

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2018/1...h-andreas.html

superbee 8th December 2018 22:21

Is there going to be an English version??

azapf1972 9th December 2018 00:35

The answer to the question on the English version is in the linked blog post above...

Andreas

leonventer 9th December 2018 09:30

Neil & Andreas,

Thanks for posting the interview -- great questions and very informative answers!

Welter is a highly controversial figure, so the extra perspective you provided on him was interesting. I'll cut him some slack from now on because the regard in which he was held by his peers does count in his favor.

To Andreas: The quality of your publications and website follow in the fine tradition of your father's excellent work. (As an airfield junkie, I have all of his books.)

I bought a copy of your book as soon as it became available and was truly impressed by its detail and presentation. Your objectivity and thorough research are exemplary, and I look forward to your future efforts.

Best regards,
Leon Venter

azapf1972 9th December 2018 12:37

Dear Leon,

thank your very much for your most positive feedback and support. It is always good to hear an honest opinion, may it be positive or negative (because only then one can learn and improve).

I am happy that you found the information interesting and useful - with the book in your hands, you know almost all I do about Kurt Welter. The most impressive find was his photo that I published as a full-pager... you can only imagine how much the times have changed the man when you compare the "young" Welter to the "battle-weary" Welter...

Yours truely,
Andreas