Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Loss of 316 Sqd Mustang piloted by F/Lt L Majewski (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=10108)

Trevor Matthews 13th September 2007 09:42

Loss of 316 Sqd Mustang piloted by F/Lt L Majewski

Seeking information on the loss of a 316 Sqd Mustang flown by F/Lt Longin Majewski. The aircraft crashed near the coast in Essex.

Its not a lot to go on but any information appreciated.

Many thanks

Trevor

Franek Grabowski 13th September 2007 14:22

Re: Loss of 316 Sqd Mustang piloted by F/Lt L Majewski

When?

Trevor Matthews 13th September 2007 15:11

Thats the $64,000 question 316 sqd received mustangs in Aprill 44 operating from Coltishall & moved to West Malling at the start of July 44. it was during this period that the aircraft crashed it was probably during training on the Mustang.

Unfortunatley this is all the information I have.

Regards

Trevor

Franek Grabowski 13th September 2007 17:03

Hmm, I do not have the most recent list handy, nonetheless I cannot find it on the old one. What is the source of the incident?

Trevor Matthews 13th September 2007 17:24

We have been given the recovered remains for display in a museum & were given this information as its history but no date. The aircraft was recovered a number of years ago & has been stored on a farm in Kent

Regards

Trevor

Franek Grabowski 13th September 2007 18:10

If the crash occurred around Coltishall, this could be well a post-war accident. I understand that there is nothing confirming location of the crash nor the pieces do not provide any evidence?

Trevor Matthews 13th September 2007 18:55

Thats everything we know the engine is a Packard Merlin

Regards

Trevor

Chris Goss 13th September 2007 19:13

If Majewski was killed I can ask the AHB

Franek Grabowski 13th September 2007 19:26

Chris, no, he was not.
I will check other records, but I am afraid you have to pursue the story the other way to try to establish were it was dug out, as I am afraid there were just too many Mustangs lost.

SteveB 13th September 2007 21:37

Trevor and Franek

316Sqn lost FZ145 on 20/2/45. Air Britain records that the a/c "dived into ground during low level practice, Tillington, Essex". On this date 316Sqn was based at Andrews Field in Essex. I cannot find a place called "TillingTON" in Essex, all the Tillingtons seem to be in Sussex. However there is a "TillingHAM" in Essex which is a mile or so from the coast next to Bradwell. I don't have the accident card details for this incident.

Steve