Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New Publishing Company (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51742)

Nick Beale 14th August 2018 22:57

Re: New Publishing Company
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwest2 (Post 256410)
The consumer saves money and amazon pockets the difference

And the author gets a far lower return per book without, in our field at least, any compensating increase in sales. (Also, a hot issue in the UK right now, Amazon's affairs are so structured that it contributes precious little in tax relative to its turnover, thereby crushing much smaller businesses which make a far greater contribution).

edwest2 14th August 2018 23:22

Re: New Publishing Company
 
I suggest more publishers post here. We should encourage authors and publishers to post here. Perhaps offer a 10% off preorder incentive. It has to be done. There are books out there that fall into our area of interest but they get overlooked.

Jukka Juutinen 14th August 2018 23:29

Re: New Publishing Company
 
Ed is correct! And I'd also suggest a scheme in which customers who would both pre-order and pre-pay in full would get a substantial discount (say 30 % off). Naturally the publisher should guarantee a reasonable time in which the book is ready to be shipped. Say 3 months.

Nick Beale 14th August 2018 23:43

Re: New Publishing Company
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen (Post 256427)
Ed is correct! And I'd also suggest a scheme in which customers who would both pre-order and pre-pay in full would get a substantial discount (say 30 % off). Naturally the publisher should guarantee a reasonable time in which the book is ready to be shipped. Say 3 months.

Éditions Heimdal have forthcoming books listed as "souscriptions" with a modest discount if you pay up front, for example: https://www.editions-heimdal.fr/en/p...840484646.html

Maciej Góralczyk 15th August 2018 00:04

Re: New Publishing Company
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Beale (Post 256420)
And the author gets a far lower return per book without, in our field at least, any compensating increase in sales. (Also, a hot issue in the UK right now, Amazon's affairs are so structured that it contributes precious little in tax relative to its turnover, thereby crushing much smaller businesses which make a far greater contribution).

Not necessarily. It is of course just me, but if, for example, the recent Classic titles on Fw 200 and Do 215 were only available at the cover prices, and with Ł16-18 shipping cost per each, I wouldn't buy any of them, as I have very limited interest in these aircraft types. However, Amazon pricing and shipping cost policies allowed me to afford purchasing both these books.

Alfred.MONZAT 15th August 2018 11:21

Re: New Publishing Company
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Beale (Post 256429)
Éditions Heimdal have forthcoming books listed as "souscriptions" with a modest discount if you pay up front, for example: https://www.editions-heimdal.fr/en/p...840484646.html


Not exactly a good example as I subscribed exactly a year ago for this book (for 57€) and it was to be published in late 2017 (still no news).


Lela Presse may delay some of its book, but no more than a couple of month. You got free shipping if you pre-order one of their own book and if you have subscribed to one of their mag you get a 10-15% discount on all their mag and own books. And there's the "Loyalty Scheme" (not as good as it used to be but yet) and also they offer time to time free shipping. Not sure if it's as much valuable for a foreigner but for French customers, that's excellent.

richdlc 15th August 2018 11:24

Re: New Publishing Company
 
thanks for all the comments and suggestions guys. I will have to carefully consider my options.

We are hoping to get the book out by the end of November this year, although of course there may be delays.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2018, 12oclockhigh.net