Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2nd/Lt. STEINER - US Army Air Corps - March 1944 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=62364)

Adriano Baumgartner 3rd August 2022 16:20

2nd/Lt. STEINER - US Army Air Corps - March 1944

Good afternoon to all members.

Am trying to determine the first name of a 2nd/Lt. Steiner, who undertook a Course on the Central Gunnery School in March 1944.

He may be a fighter pilot or a gunner, either from the 8th AF or 9th AF.

I was able to match two US Army Air Corps Officers present, but not this one. Any help, most welcomed.

Adriano

Leendert 3rd August 2022 16:38

Re: 2nd/Lt. STEINER - US Army Air Corps - March 1944

Adriano,

Don't know about the ones you found, but my bet goes to Lt. Richard R. Steiner (O-445606) from Salt Lake City, Utah, who is mentioned in SLC newspapers in early April 1944 of having completed a course at the Central Gunnery School in Texas.
Did some browsing on newspapers.com, but have no subscription to read whole article for further details.

A DFC was awarded on Feb. 18, 1944 to (a) Lt Richard R. Steiner with unit given as HQ 5th AF. May also be known as Dick Steiner.

Regards,
Leendert

Adriano Baumgartner 3rd August 2022 17:26

Leendert, thank you so much!

Seems a promissing road, that you opened for me now...However the 2nd/Lt Steiner I mentioned earlier graduated at the CGS at RAF Catfoss (44 Course, 16th March 1944). I do have a whole picture of the group of airmen (am aware some may not be fighter pilots at all, but rather "bus drivers") and am trying to match the full names of those depicted.

Amongst those US members present that I managed to ID there were:
Captain Baer (later a General)
1/Lt Rosenberger (possibly 1st Lieutenant Abe P Rosenberger (O-678942)

Amongst the RAF airmen:
F/Lt Boddington (possibly Michael Christopher Bindloss Boddington)

Sadly the other names are too well familiar for a positive ID (100% match):
F/L Johnson
F/L King
F/L Butcher
F/O Brown
F/O Kennety
P/O Butcher
F/O Nalder
F/L Roberts
F/L Sampson
F/L Fleming (found one in 232 Sqdn, one i 201 Sqdn and another Fleming)

Sadly too, File AIR 29/605 and 606 were not digitalized yet...so I am unable to check who they were...

Thank you nevertheless for your prompt help and "North" to follow regarding 1st/Lt Steiner..He may be the one am looking for.

Adriano

Leendert 4th August 2022 11:23

Adriano,

A little about (then) Capt. Baer's presence at RAF Catfoss on p. 16 ("More Glimpses into the Training") here: http://www.368thfightergroup.com/fil...-hx-apr-44.pdf

The Richard R. Steiner I suggested not likely the person. He was a C-47 pilot in the CBI...

Lt Rosenberger was a P-51 pilot with 361st FG.

Regards,
Leendert

Adriano Baumgartner 4th August 2022 12:16

LEENDERT,

UOUUU! What an amazing finding of yours! My DEEPEST GRATITUDE for sharing this information on Captain Baer's assignement to the CGS at Catfoss. Most welcomed treasure to read!

Amongst the other airmen I forget to mention, on the same 44 Course there were:
F/L Olmsted (later DSO and DFC) and
F/L Falconer-Taylor (later shot down and POW with 122 Squadron).

My huge gratitude for your help and sharing this document.

Adriano

Henofred 8th August 2022 07:16

Adriano, this is off-topic but your private message box is full and I could not send you my thanks (for the He-111 link).

Best regards,
Frederic

Adriano Baumgartner 8th August 2022 10:35

Henofred (Fréderic),

Je suis heureux de vous avoir aidé....glad to be of assistance! This is why TOCH is so fantastic, because we do find brothers and do help one another. Alone we go nowhere...even to be born or to be buried, we depend of persons.

Semper Fi.,
Adriano and Family