Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   w.b abbreviation meaning (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50983)

Johannes 14th April 2018 09:57

w.b abbreviation meaning

Hi Guys

I was wondering if anybody knew the long phrase of the abbreviation w.b pertaining to claims. I have only seen this used a few times, and was thinking it could be "Wahrscheinlich bestätigt".

Also after making a claim, was the Kommodore the first person to approve the claim before submitting to the RLM, also what is the long phrase meaning of RLM in German.

Kind Regards

Johannes

alessandro bray 14th April 2018 10:10

Re: w.b abbreviation meaning

Hi Johannes, wb = wirksam beschossen
Regards
Alessandro

Nick Beale 14th April 2018 10:19

RLM = Reichsluftfahrtministerium = Reich Aviation Ministry

Kaczmarek 14th April 2018 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johannes (Post 250681)
. . . Also after making a claim, was the Kommodore the first person to approve the claim before submitting to the RLM . . .

No. Every claim had to be presented to a Abschußkommission (claim commission). This commission decided and reported the claim to the OKL, Chef f. Ausz. u. Diszpl. (Air Force High Command). This then confirmed officially the claim.

Rgds,
Kaczmarek

Theo Boiten 14th April 2018 13:32

Yes, 'w.B.' means 'wirksamer Beschuss', I've come across this term in a number of single-engined Wilde Sau claims and one or two twin-engined NJ claims that were submitted to the OKL/RLM.

The Abschusskommission is also known as the Wiesbadener Abschusskommission. Over the past 30 years I've searched in vain for remnants of the original archive of the Abschusskommission, the archive is believed to have been destroyed in its entirety towards the end of the war.

Cheers, Theo

Johannes 15th April 2018 07:59

Hi Guys

Many, many thanks for all the very useful information.

Best Regards

Johannes

Johannes 16th April 2018 10:07

Hi Guys

More thoughts.

A Geschwaderkommodore would sign any abschussmeldung, but before or after submission. I am looking at an abschussmeldung at the moment, it's signed by the Kommodore, but although the claim was for 27.05.1942 this form was completed later, firstly it's dated 05.02.1945!!!! then the witness is mentioned as being killed 21.08.1942, which is why I assume of the long delay.
The witness report is also dated 05.02.1945, and unsigned.

Were A.S.M, v.nee-a.s.m, w.b abschussmeldung submitted to the same office.I have a lot of v.n.e-a.s.m or plain A.S.M abschussmeldung, but not many non-problematical ones, makes me think they were treated, or at least stored in some different way. Wilhelm Batz made many A.S.M claims among his earlier claims decause he had no air witnesses, I assume this is because he was with the Staff, but he would use ground-witnesses, which I guess would suggest that these claims were 100% honest.........no reason for a ground-witness to verify an airclaim i.e no bribery, just following protocol.

I have seen a few e.v claims on the mikrofilms, but although they counted in the Western "points system", were abschussmeldung actually submitted in such a case, and if so how were they treated i.e confirmed, or just points?

Again grateful to you guys for your assistance.

Kind Regards

Johannes