Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Seeking crash locations and photos for two KG54 He111 that crashed after action over Dunkirk on 2 June 1940 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=32940)

Larry Hickey 13th February 2013 20:39

Seeking crash locations and photos for two KG54 He111 that crashed after action over Dunkirk on 2 June 1940

Hello,

In the EoE Luft loss DB we have two entries for losses on 2 June from action over Dunkirk, but no specific crash locations or photos. These entries are:

1./KG54 Heinkel He111P-2. Shot down by No. 92 Squadron Spitfires over Dunkirk 8.00 a.m. BF Obergefr Josef Müller killed, BM Flgr Max Plank slightly wounded – admitted to hospital in Antwerp, rest of crew believed unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.

and

4./KG54 Heinkel He111P-2. Believed shot down by No. 92 Squadron Spitfires over Dunkirk 8.00 a.m. BF Obergefr Karl Braun and BM Uffz Karl Wissussek both wounded – admitted to hospital in Antwerp, BO Hptmn Lothar Maiwald (Staffelkapitän) and FF Uffz Franz Becker both unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.

The hospitalization of members of these two crews at Antwerp, suggests that these a/c may have actually came down in Belgium. Since all but one of these crewmen survived, it suggests that the crews either baled out of stricken a/c, or the a/c made decent forced-landings. Regards, our EoE team has not been able to locate photos of these downed a/c, although we've turned up numerous photos of the other three He111s lost by KG54 that day, including B3+JM and B3+JP.

Can anyone supply photos, further info or specific crash locations for either of these two He111s?

We're also looking for the first name of a crewman, Oblt Berg, the BO aboard another 4./KG54 He111 that was damaged over Dunkirk that day, but who apparently was not hurt, although another crewman aboard was WIA.

4./KG54 Heinkel He111P-2. Believed returned badly damaged in attacks by No. 92 Squadron Spitfires over Dunkirk 8.00 a.m. BS Flgr Othmar Kaschel wounded – admitted to hospital in Antwerp, FF Oberfw Max Röhrig, BO Oberlt [ ] Berg, and another crewman all believed unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.

Who can help?

Thanx,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Matti Salonen 16th February 2013 17:18

Re: Seeking crash locations and photos for two KG54 He111 that crashed after action over Dunkirk on 2 June 1940

I have for 1./KG 54 aircraft: Deurne, 4 km östlich Antwerpen.

Matti

Larry Hickey 16th February 2013 17:26

Re: Seeking crash locations and photos for two KG54 He111 that crashed after action over Dunkirk on 2 June 1940

Matti,

Thanx! Can you provide the source of your information about : "Deurne, 4 km östlich Antwerpen" for the 1./KG54 loss?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Matti Salonen 16th February 2013 17:51

Cannot be 100 % sure, but believe that I have copied it from NVM.

Matti

Larry Hickey 16th February 2013 18:55

Matti,

Thanx.

Larry

Larry Hickey 17th February 2013 19:33

Matti,

Peter C. checked the NVM and that is not the source. Any other ideas where you might have gotten that info? The area makes sense based upon the handling of the casualties, but we really need hard evidence or a credible report for the specific location. Still need photos of this one as well.

We have a photo of one possible 1./KG54 (could also be 4. or 7./KG54 a/c) loss which FL, apparently in Belgium. It was "White B." However, this was captioned by the source as being down at Westkapelle which is near Knokke (Belgium), near the coast about 80 Km west of the Antwerpen-Deurne area. So, this crash doesn't seem to match a crash in the Antwerp area.

Any further source info that would put the 2 June loss to 1./KG54 down in the Deurne-Antwerp area would be much appreciated. Our EoE KG54 team has made a great deal of progress acquiring photos and pinpointing specific incident locations for the many a/c from that unit that came down in France and Belgium during the WC, and we'd really like to get these remaining losses detailed, and supported by photography.

Also, if anyone has any other photos of this FL B3+BH, BM or BR down near the coast of Belgium, probably during the WC/FC, I'd appreciate knowing about them.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Matti Salonen 17th February 2013 21:24

I am still quite confident that my info comes from WASt documents. There are quite often other documents in those NVM folders and maybe my info is from such. Will try to check this next month and advise after that.

Matti

Luc Vervoort 17th February 2013 21:50

Hi Larry,

The following Germans were buried at the Schoonselhof cemetery (Antwerp) with date of decease 2/06/1940 :
Hohmann, Kurt
Müller, Josef
Krüger, Erich
Finke, Gerhardt
Schmidt, Herbert

Best regards from Belgium

Luc

obdl3945 18th February 2013 03:59

Hi, Larry...

Again, not sure if these are useful to you, but I have a 'White B' from KG54 (possibly 7.Staffel as the unit insignia seems a little duller in shade, perhaps yellow, compared to the letter 'B' and the white outline to the cross?), and another - B3+AH - from 1./KG54 which you may be interested in seeing. Alas, there were no hints or comments from the ebay listing as to where these photos may have been taken, although B3+AH is possibly within your dateline given the position of the swastika on the tailfin/rudder.

Regards,

Paul

Larry Hickey 18th February 2013 05:39

Paul,

Thanx for keeping at it. I do have both of the photos that you posted. The one of the "White or Yellow B" is the one referred to in one of my recent posts.

B3+AH is one of a number of photos that we have in the DB of that one. It is the a/c of Lt. Alfred Priebe, down near Cambrai, France, on 19.05.40.

Keep lookin'

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator