Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Luftwaffe awards and medals (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=3883)

Peter 3rd February 2006 00:17

Luftwaffe awards and medals

Maybe a bit of topic but I'll try anyway. What medal and awards were worne by the LW pilots? Obviously the iron cross in all its forms and all the LW operational flying clasps and LW orders and decorations and Wounded badges. What I do think of is the War Merit medal in all its forms, the diffrent shields, Narvik, Kuban, Krim, Demjansk, Cholm and the theatre medals like Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten and Deutsch Italienische Afrika-Feldzugsmedaille? Hope the question is not to much of.Thank you

VtwinVince 3rd February 2006 04:26

Re: Luftwaffe awards and medals

Definitely all you have listed, plus don't forget the Afrika and Kreta cuff titles, the non-portable awards such as the Ehrenpokal and the long service awards.

Peter Spoden 3rd February 2006 21:49

When I became a soldier in WWII my father who was in WWI told me:

"Junge, besser kein Eisernes Kreuz als ein Eisen ins Kreuz!"

The translation is not difficult.

regards Peter Spoden

Peter 3rd February 2006 22:59

Vielen Dank Herr Spoden,

Your father was a very wise man!

Also, a very big thank you for you contribution on the nets diffrent boards, it is most interesting and educational to read your first hand accounts, thoughts and insights about the era.

Peter

VtwinVince 4th February 2006 00:58

Ihr Vater hatte Recht, Herr Spoden!

klaymann 10th February 2006 12:46

[quote=Peter Spoden]When I became a soldier in WWII my father who was in WWI told me:

for us that " nicht sprecken zie deutsch" (spelling?? ) I would love to know what this means..

tnx Kurt.

Sergio Luis dos Santos 10th February 2006 19:32

[quote=klaymann]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Spoden
When I became a soldier in WWII my father who was in WWI told me:

for us that " nicht sprecken zie deutsch" (spelling?? ) I would love to know what this means..

tnx Kurt.

I guess anything like " My young, better no iron cross than an iron in the cross" I belive the "iron" here means the novice? ones in the armed forces.

robert_schulte 10th February 2006 20:16

Hi Kurt and Sergio,
the meaning would be:
"better no Iron Cross (the award) than a piece of iron shot in the back". In colloquial German "Kreuz" can have the meaning of the back of a person.
The original phrase is a play on words that can't be translated directly.
Best wishes
Robert

P.S. Sergio, good luck with your book, looking forward to it :)

Sergio Luis dos Santos 12th February 2006 17:07

Thanks Robert. Yes, slangs and such kind of phares canīt be translated as I did... They have specif meanings in each country and one must understand them in this context. Well, a new "pack" of unpublished material may arrive this month for the book. Itīs time start working in the chapters and define which photos will go. Thanks again.