Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Seeking photos/info concerning the Bf109 of Hptm Walter Oesau, Gr Kdr III./JG3 from the winter of 1940-41 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=33291)

Larry Hickey 13th March 2013 22:03

Seeking photos/info concerning the Bf109 of Hptm Walter Oesau, Gr Kdr III./JG3 from the winter of 1940-41

Hello,

Hptm Walter Oesau took over command of III./JG3 from Hptm Wilhelm Balthsar at the beginning of Nov., 1940, and apparently continued to fly Balthasar's previous a/c, now repainted as Green 1+I, with an elaborate scoreboard. Concurrently, or sometime later, Oesau received a new a/c, probably an E-4 or E-7, that was marked with the conventional double chevron for Gr Kdr. This a/c had a white or yellow nose. We have three photos of this a/c with Oesau exiting the cockpit area, apparently at least some of them frames printed from a film clip. However, we don't know exactly when Oesau first began flying this a/c, its W.Nr., and what the rest of its markings looked like. Did it care a rudder scoreboard, and the new III./JG3 axe on a white shield on the cowling, as did the previous a/c?

Can anyone help us document the appearance and details of this a/c?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

F for Freddie 15th March 2013 14:40

Re: Seeking photos/info concerning the Bf109 of Hptm Walter Oesau, Gr Kdr III./JG3 from the winter of 1940-41

Hi Larry
Mission4Today Photos may be able to help you.. I believe I have seen the odd photo of Hptm Walter Oesau standing next to his aircraft. Possibly a E7? I hope this helps you?
http://www.mission4today.com/index.p...wtopic&t=14427

HomeForumsProR & R Forums › Photo Galleries › WWII Aircraft Photo's › Germany

ouidjat 15th March 2013 15:24

Re: Seeking photos/info concerning the Bf109 of Hptm Walter Oesau, Gr Kdr III./JG3 from the winter of 1940-41

I've seen Clark Gable, not Oesau!
Should have been a "scary" picture; who knows?
15 pages ... scrolling down fo' nothing: not even a microwave oven!

Larry Hickey 15th March 2013 15:28

Freddie,

Thanx for responding. Nothing on this site that solves this problem, or provides other photos that we don't already have.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Chris Goss 15th March 2013 18:36

I have gone through the Mike Payne photos and apart from the usual photos, nothing I am afraid

Larry Hickey 15th March 2013 21:12

Chris,

Thanx for going to the trouble to search for an answer in the Payne Collection. We've got Oesau's a/c and his markings well documented until we hit the late fall-early winter of 1940, then we have only the info above. We're going to go ahead and rough out a profile of what we've got on this a/c, but still have major elements, such as rear fuselage and scoreboard, that we can only guess at. For now we're going to assume that this a/c carried no scoreboard, and just had a solid yellow rudder. Of course, we're prepared to change that on a moment's notice should some contrary documentation arise.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

ouidjat 16th March 2013 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hickey (Post 163733)
... We're going to go ahead and rough out a profile of what we've got on this a/c, but still have major elements, such as rear fuselage and scoreboard, that we can only guess at. For now we're going to assume that this a/c carried no scoreboard, and just had a solid yellow rudder...

Hi Larry,

And if not, are going to publish it, anyway?

I don't know if THIS can resolve your (our) problem? Or add another one??

Regards, Franck.

Cpt_Farrel 16th March 2013 19:49

That is the aircraft of Friedrich Beckh who was IV./JG51 gruppenkommandeur when he flew the aircraft in Francks link.

Cheers / Anders

ouidjat 17th March 2013 05:39

Hello,

Yep! Thanks Anders. Mars 1941. Pity we cannot see the white victory bar on rudder.

Thank you for this help.

Regards, Franck.

Larry Hickey 17th March 2013 05:56

Hello,

Obviously, this is not the a/c flown by Oesau that we're looking for, but all your efforts to help are appreciated. Somebody will likely find a solution to our problem.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator