Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   USAF vs VVS Incidents March 1945 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=5239)

Michal 22nd June 2006 19:00

USAF vs VVS Incidents March 1945

Hello,

does somebody know more? Does somebody know to which unit US planes (or in second case VVS planes as well) belonged?

1) Major Anatoliy Leonidovich Kozhevnikov (CO of 212th GIAP, 22nd GIAD, 2nd VA, Ace with 27 kills) attacked one B-17G nearby frontline, some 8 kilometers out of Brieg A/F. Kozhevnikov damaged ship and she was able to land at Brieg A/F. According to soviet sources ship had s/n 44-6642 and flew back from bombing of Berlin (in fact it could be Ruhland as well). Commander of plane was Capt. Forst. After several days and repair, B-17G took off. Plane probably belonged to some of group of 5th BW.

2) German planes should attacked US fighters and bombers over Morin, some 35 kilometers NW Küstrin, when 6 Yak-3s appeared and attacked German planes. According to Soviet document, Mustangs attacked Yaks and all in all 6 Yaks were shot down, 2 KIA and 1 WIA.

Thanks for help

Michal

Jack Sanders 23rd June 2006 13:08

Re: USAF vs VVS Incidents March 1945

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michal
Hello,

does somebody know more?

2) German planes should attacked US fighters and bombers over Morin, some 35 kilometers NW Küstrin, when 6 Yak-3s appeared and attacked German planes. According to Soviet document, Mustangs attacked Yaks and all in all 6 Yaks were shot down, 2 KIA and 1 WIA.

Thanks for help

Michal

Hello!

I know a little about the second event because it is described in the Osprey title covering the 359th FG. 4 flights of the 369th FS of the 359th FG were involved, and the combat started at an altitude of 10000 ft "over an airfield at Zackerick, north of Kustrin". La-5 fighters were also encountered, yet there is no mention of Soviet unit designations.

Yours,

Jack Sanders

Michal 23rd June 2006 19:04

Thx. Is there written how many Soviet planes US Airmen shot down?

Evgeny Velichko 24th June 2006 06:23

Hi all!

I know (but actually dont remember the date) that I.Kozhedub (Best allyed ace, 62 kills) has in reality 64 kills, & tha last 2 kills are P-51 (I saw guncam of that claims:).

He defended a B-17 from attack of Fw 190, then appeared 2 Mustangs & attacked him. The only choise to defend himself was to shot down both.

Pilot of first was killed, but second survived, & when russian stabofficier asced "Who shot You?", He answered " A Fw 190 with red nose". BTW: survived american pilot was afro-american.

Also, I know about few moments, when P-38 were strafing some Soviet transport columns in April - May 1945, & some of thwm were shot down.

S!

Franek Grabowski 24th June 2006 14:07

I understand Kozhedub was credited with 63 kills but his combat with USAAF seems mythical to say the least.
Gun camera film seems to be a captured German stuff, presence of Negro American pilots seems doubtful to say the least and there are no US losses that would fit reputed claim.
Well, even an exact date of supposed incident was not established without any doubt.

Michal 24th June 2006 14:57

Kozhedub wrote in his memories that somewhere at the end of March or first half of april 1945 defended with Dmitriy Nechayev one B-17 from attack of 2 Me-109 and 8 Fw 190s. Kozhedub claimed 2 Fw 190s. Is this the case about you wrote?

I don´t know Kozhedub should shot down P-51s.

Another soviet ace, who damaged B-17, was Konstantin Vasilyevich Suchov (21 kills, 16. giap, 9. giad, 2. VA). Sometimes in first half of april he attacked B-17 about whom he supposed it was Ju-52 flying to Breslau. Flying Fortress was force-landed at Czenstochowa A/F.

Sabredog 24th June 2006 15:54

m,
B-17 # 44-6642 was assigned to 2BG, 49th BS Amendola.

Regards,
Hugh

Ivo de Jong 24th June 2006 20:59

Another interesting incident was on March 18. B-17G 44-8276 of the 487th BG was hit by flak over Berlin and left the formation, heading in easterly direction. It was then attacked by Russian Yaks, which hit the aircraft while the crew was in the process of bailing out. Crewmembers were actually strafed in their chutes, and two of them were killed. They were buried by the Russians, and their graves were never retraced after the war.
The incident happened on the same day that P-51s of the 359th FG had shot down nine Russian a/c, mostly YAK's, in an encounter near Kustrin. They mistook the YAK's for FW-190s.... This incident is covered in depth in the 359th FG History "Mustangs and Unicorns".
Best regards,
Ivo de Jong

Kutscha 25th June 2006 06:27

Ivo the La-5/-7 had a radial engine and would look more like the Fw190. Jaks were inline V-12 engines and might be mistaken for Me109s.

I know your are taking what you said from the unit's history.