Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bf109 after the war (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=29074)

Pilot 21st March 2012 06:46

Bf109 after the war

Greetings all,

when we mention Bf109 we in general think about its service during the WW2 (of course, also before the war). But how much it is used after the war and which countries use it? I am wonder does it seen any use in two Germany after the war?

Cheers :)

RolandF 21st March 2012 08:54

Re: Bf109 after the war

Hello, Srecko,

after the armistice all of the Bf 109s in both parts of Germany disappeared in the aluminium and steel furnaces.

Bf 109s produced in wartime were used by:

- Switzerland
- Finland
- Bulgaria
- Rumania
- Yugoslavia (acquired from Bulgaria afaik)
- Spain

Post-war production was done by:

- Czechoslovakia
- Spain

Regards

Roland

Pilot 21st March 2012 15:20

Thank you Roland :) Info about scrap into raw material is interesting for me.

Brian Bines 21st March 2012 15:45

I believe the new Israeli Air Force used some 109's produced in post-war Czechoslovakia, although these did not have DB engines.

Nordpol54 21st March 2012 18:06

@ Brian and all,

Czechoslovakian Me 109 in after-war production were called "Avia S-199", equipped with Jumo 211. Some of these a/c saw service in the Israelian Air Force - along with Spitfires as well.

Best Regards
Norbert

P.S.: Edited an added for to have a glance at for instance
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avia_S-199

Pilot 21st March 2012 19:00

Avia is much differ from original design but as I know they do have some of the originals there in service (???)

John Beaman 21st March 2012 21:09

Pilot, I am not sure some the above answers really address your question.

Czechoslovakia used the G-14 and G-10 in the post war period briefly. Some of these were in 1945 when the "independence" movement started before the May 8th surrender. They then took incomplete G-10 airframes and produced them with DB605D engines. This was called the S-99. They later mated a quantity of Jumo engines with the airframe with extensive modifications from the firewall forward. These were called S-199. There was also a two place trainer. I'm not sure of the designation off the top of my head, but I think it was the S-199S. A group of S-199 machines was sold to the new Israeli state after the beginning of the 1948 Independence War. As the Israelis were desperate for anything, they used it but it was called "the Mule" because of its awful handling/flying characteristics. They were quickly phased out ASAP in favor of Spitfire and Mustangs.

Yugoslavia used several WNF built G-10 machines for a short period, but quickly went to USSR equipment under Tito. The G-10 at the old Planes Of Fame Museum and the USAF Museum are ex-Yugoslavia machines. Jerry Crandall and others did a lot of research/work on these machines years ago.

Lastly, Spain had a quantity of G-6 machines from Germany before the war ended. When the war was over they ran out of DB engines and substituted RR Merlin engines in two different configurations. Some of these were used in the 1970s Battle Of Britain film and are presently with the Heritage AF (aka the former Confederate AF) in the USA.

There were likely brief uses of 109s in other venues, but the information escapes me at the moment!

Pilot 21st March 2012 21:35

Thank you John :) As I know two seat CSSR produced version with Jumo engine were designated CS-199. Interesting to hear about Mr. Crandall research work on preserved machine, any data available?

Juha 21st March 2012 23:11

Hello Srecko
Finnish AF had appr. 100 war-weary 109Gs immediately after the war and they were used in ever diminishing numbers up to 1954 as the main and the only fighter. In fact they were the only combat a/c we had from 1948 to 1954. In 1954 we bought 6 DH Vampire Mk 52s and in 1955 9 Vampire Trainer Mk. 55s.

Juha

Pilot 21st March 2012 23:23

Interesting and long service after the war. As well it was main combat airplane, this mean most frequent use so that require spare parts. Did Finland have it? I guess a lot of that remained after the war.