Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help for Identification (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=11165)

Rolfeb 12th December 2007 21:42

Help for Identification

Found this photo on a flee market in Munich.
Who can identify type and Unit etc.

Regards
Rolf

Larry 13th December 2007 00:16

Re: Help for Identification

Hi Rolf,

Its a Fairey Battle and the serial number looks to be P2360 which served with 218 Sqn RAF, as part of the AASF in France. It went missing on 14th May 1940 during an attack on a bridge at Sedan.

PO RTL Buttery and AC2 WC Waterston were recorded as missing. However from the look of it the two crew could have walked away from the crash landing. Perhaps they were killed later on trying to return to the Allied lines?

(Details from The Battle File by Air Britain)

Peter Cornwell 13th December 2007 10:28

Rolf,

A good example of the problems in trying to identify such finds, but with apologies to Larry, your photo actually shows the following aircraft of No. 105 Squadron lost on May 10, 1940:

Battle P2200. Shot down by flak during attack on enemy column advancing along the Echternach - Luxembourg road and belly-landed at Clémency 4.15 p.m. Pilot Officer D. G. O'Brien captured unhurt, Sergeant D. F. Eastick and AC1 S. R. Wright both captured wounded. Aircraft GB*K a write-off.

Graham Boak 13th December 2007 10:58

Photos of 105 Sq Battles are quite rare, I think this is only the second one I've seen for this period. If you can answer this question easily, can you tell me the serial for GB:A in early 1940?

Peter Cornwell 13th December 2007 11:24

Graham,

I assume your question was for me but regret I have no knowledge of the serial applicable to GB*A in early 1940. In fact the only other ident in the squadron I have noted is GB*V (K9342) lost on May 14, 1940. But as photos of the unit are seemingly rare herewith another of GB*K (P2200).

Rolfeb 13th December 2007 14:05

Thanks for your answers. It's a pleasure for me to share thi rare pic with you. You should know that I payed only 50 Cent for it.

Best regards
Rolf

Graham Boak 13th December 2007 14:50

Peter: thank you for that. It is my understanding that the unit was effectively wiped out on the ground, which might help to explain the lack of photos.

Peter Cornwell 13th December 2007 16:12

Graham,

The squadron was not wiped out on the ground. It lost one aircraft and had three others badly damaged on operations on May 10, 1940. Two days later another aircraft was lost and two more slightly damaged during an attack on enemy columns. Then, on May 14, six aircraft were lost during a suicidal attack on bridges at Sedan, another machine returning damaged and later abandoned. Due to these losses, the unit played little further part in the western campaign until its final withdrawal to England on June 11.

Full details of all these losses in The Battle of France Then & Now due for publication in February 2008.

Larry 14th December 2007 21:56

Battle of 105 Sqn

The position of the fin marking on P2200 is quite unique in size shape and position and if the rest of the squadron adopted it as standard it could help identify other aircraft where the serial or codes are not clear.

Fairlop 15th December 2007 17:05

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

The "K" was frequently photographed and there is a number of new pictures on E-bay from time to time. I attach one of four others known to me.

Quote:

... can you tell me the serial for GB:A in early 1940?
I have a picture of P2176, GB*A in my database.

Michal