Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Finnish claim for this russian pilot (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=42350)

GMichalski 4th August 2015 12:29

Finnish claim for this russian pilot

Hi,

i find in the book: Soviet Airmen in the Spanish Civil War of Paul Whelan, page 98

Fedor Aleksandrovich Samsonov
Pilot in 107th IAE 83rd IAB Byeloussian Mil. Dist.
Flew in SCWin I-16 from 26 march to 28 june 1938. Wounded in combat in 18 may 38 his aircraft ran low on fuel and he crashed while making an emergency landing..

Later in Ruso-Finnish he was a senior pilot in 49th IAP KIA in 8 december 1939 when his aircraft was shot down by Finnish fighter. His resting place is unknown....

(Kaminskii, Semenov "Parol", Abrosov, Los Rusos, Prada)

my question is: i don´t find any claim over this pilot, who was his possible victor?

many thanks,
regards

GuerraCivil 4th August 2015 14:14

Re: Finnish claim for this russian pilot

F. A. Samsonov served in the 49th IAP and was indeed killed in the Soviet-Finnish Winter War on 8.12.1939 but the cause was a mid-air collision with another I-16 when trying to avoid Finnish AA-fire during a ground attack mission near Mantsi (located at the northeast coast of lake Ladoga). Also the other I-16 pilot (lt. P.M. Kozhakin) was killed.

Geust 2011: Red Stars 7. The Winter War in the air, p. 198. Very well-researched and detailed book about the Red Army Air Force in the Winter War based on intensive study of Soviet air unit records. If any interest on the topic, highly recommended.

GMichalski 5th August 2015 15:06

hi,

seems an error in Paul Whelan's book...

thanks for your info,

anyway if you need something of this book send it to me:
kreator1989@hotmail.com

regards

Stig Jarlevik 12th August 2015 11:07

GMichalski

Can I have your opinion on the book you quote from, please?
Is this a list of names only with brief details, or does it give each pilots claims in the civil war as well? Number of missions perhaps?

Beside a list of all known Soviet airmen, does it contain anyting else? I would for instance be interested in a short day-by-day summary seen from the Soviet side.

Cheers
Stig

GMichalski 12th August 2015 15:44

hi,
follows this scheme:

list of name
russian squadron before SCW
served in spain from date to date
Squadron in SCW
in some cases codename
number of missions
claims or casualties/accidents
medals in SCW
info post SCW

other good point is the correct locations in Spain...

it's a good complement to this web:

http://airaces.narod.ru/spane/spane.htm

info taken from Semenov, Los Rusos, Kaminski, Abrosov, airaces.narod.ru,
Pravda, Berch, Gagin, Logoluso,Salas... and when pilot was wounded or kia in combat or accident you find one, two or three versions with the sources...

i'm trying to make a guide with the fighting per day , claims and losses but im not yet read the whole book and I have little time...

if need some info send to me...

regards

Stig Jarlevik 12th August 2015 16:48

Thanks

Are ALL known pilots listed? I mean not only fighter pilots, but also bomber, reconnaissance and other sundry pilots?

Cheers
Stig

GMichalski 12th August 2015 23:55

yes,
gunners, observers,pilots of fighters and bombers, technicians, aeronautical engenieers,mechanics, workers of the factories asembling russian planes in spain.... and also women interpreters!

regards

Stig Jarlevik 13th August 2015 09:20

Thanks again :)
Stig

Håkan 14th August 2015 17:00

Hej Stig!

Whelan's book is very nice and well worth to buy. At first I was slightly disappointed by it since it didn't contain any chronology of the Soviets in Spain but the author has done a tremendous work comparing numbers of sources and is a must if your interested in the Soviets in Spain.

Best wishes/Håkan

Stig Jarlevik 14th August 2015 17:16

Tack Håkan

Yes both GMichalski and you have convinced me to buy the book.
My problem is that I am interested in too much....:)
My wallet is complaining!!:o

Cheers
Stig