Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   blenheim IV with nose 20mm & wing RP's (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=6835)

brewerjerry 29th November 2006 06:06

blenheim IV with nose 20mm & wing RP's

Hi All,
I have just been shown today a 1988 russian book on the blenheim,
In it is a blenheim IVF of 404sq with a 20mm nose cannon.
And also a drawing of a blenheim IV with wing R.P.'s .
Neither of these had I heard of before.
Has anyone any info on the use of these a/c.
I assume the R.P. Blenheim was a training/trials a/c, and not used on ops.
Cheers
Jerry

Graham Boak 29th November 2006 09:40

Re: blenheim IV with nose 20mm & wing RP's

IIRC, there was a 20mm cannon in the nose of the (South African?)Blenheim found in the desert in the 60s(?). This seems to have been a local fit. It reminds me of the 20mm cannon in the nose of Ju88s and He 111s on low-level shipping strikes or ground strafing.

I don't recall any use of Blenheims with rockets - the type was out of frontline service in Europe before rockets were introduced. Although there seems no reason to rule out the idea of a test aircraft, equally there seems no reason to choose a Blenheim for such tests.

stefaan 29th November 2006 12:16

Hi.
15 Sqdrn SAAF used some Blenheim Mk IVF's with a 20mm fitted in the nose to protrude from the right sided glass segment of the nose.
I have tried to find out the mechanism of how it was secured on the inside of the nose but have never seen any reference to this in all the documents pertaining to 15 sqdrn,despite a lot of research.
I have also contacted The Blenheim Society in the UK and they also have no info.I know they were sent to the Repair Units in Egypt to have it fitted.
There is no way to predict which serial no's had the 20mm but I have a few photo's of them.
If you have a drawing of how they were fitted I will be most gratefull as I am about 80% done with our book on 15 Sqdrn.
Regards
Stefaan Bouwer

brewerjerry 30th November 2006 02:11

Hi
Thanks for the replies,
Interesting another squadron apart from 404Sq used the arrangement.
Cheers
Jerry

SMF144 4th December 2006 17:07

Jerry,

I looked through the progress reports for No.404 Squadron when they were equipped with the Blenheim and there's no mention of the 20mm nose gun. This sounds rather interesting.

Is there any chance of seeing a scan of the image you speak of?

Stephen

brewerjerry 5th December 2006 01:57

Hi Stephen,
Don't want to get the board into any copyright issues,
So mail me at jezbrew@yahoo.com,
cheers
Jerry

Hi Stefaan
I have sent a PM, so if you want to mail me as well.
cheers
Jerry