Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Lent' s Flugbücher and Personalakte online? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=12418)

andrek 23rd March 2008 10:40

Lent' s Flugbücher and Personalakte online?

I am just wondering. A lot of people seem to have a copy of Helmut Lent' s flight books and there seems also a copy of Lent's personal file to circulate.

Last friday i called the Bundesarchive to get copies of the Personalkte (personnel file) and maybe copies of existing Flugbücher. But they don' t exist. So i think they exists somewhere else. Do they? If, can sombody give me the phone number of the archive?

as i mentioned i am writing a article for a regional newspaper about the possible removing of the Lent graves from the Stade cemetery. I mean the gravestones. Maybe i am writing a second article for a german flight magazine. Therefore i need verified information about the person Lent. WWW links don' t help and most literature references are more or less outdated or glamorize the war and thus not suitably to be used as a reference in germany. Thanks in advance.

Larry Hickey 24th March 2008 18:33

Re: Lent' s Flugbücher and Personalakte online?

Hello,

A very good biography of Lent has been published. Do you have a copy of this? Yes, is FB is in a number of private collections, but to my knowledge this is being very close-held.

Regards,

andrek 25th March 2008 13:21

@Larry

seems you are right, but i don' t give up.

Ruy Horta 25th March 2008 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrek (Post 62263)
as i mentioned i am writing a article for a regional newspaper about the possible removing of the Lent graves from the Stade cemetery. I mean the gravestones. Maybe i am writing a second article for a german flight magazine. Therefore i need verified information about the person Lent. WWW links don' t help and most literature references are more or less outdated or glamorize the war and thus not suitably to be used as a reference in germany. Thanks in advance.

Judging by the information you've given, the biography by Peter Hinchliffe called The Lent Papers, would be a good place to start. Also a general work like Ernst Obermeiers's Ritterkreuzträger der Luftwaffe can fill in many of the basic details, like award and promotion dates.

I'd be surprised you find much in his Flugbuch that is needed in an article about graves.

For you second article I understand your wish, but there you are probably forced to do your own research.

andrek 26th March 2008 11:04

@Ruy maybe you overread line 10 of my first post?

Yesterday my office ordered a copy of the Lent Papers and we are also trying to get in touch with the Lent familiy via our south german agency. Thanks for your answer.