Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Any info on this Ju-88? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=1353)

kimballbob 13th May 2005 13:16

Any info on this Ju-88?

Does anyone know anything about this aircraft?

http://members.aol.com/kimballbob/Ju-88_1

http://members.aol.com/kimballbob/Ju-88_2

Dénes Bernád 13th May 2005 15:06

Re: Any info on this Ju-88?

Beautiful photos, Bob.

Here is what I have on W.Nr. 4001:

Ju 88A-4, W.Nr. 4001, IV./KG 30, 24-Oct-43, Technical failure, Denmark, NW of Aalborg, Bruch 20%.

However, I think your photos show another accident, which happened at another (school?) unit and not in Denmark, but rather somewhere South.

What is the complete code on the fuselage (T_+AL)?

JoMe 13th May 2005 15:29

Hey

This wheels-up landing plane was the Ju 88 A-1 / 4001 / TC + AL.
This aircraft belonged to Gr.KFS 2 and made a crash-landing because engine-trouble on 27. May 1941 by Puttling. The damage was 25 %. Latre the plane was repaired by Junkers-aeroplane repair-shop in Breslau-Langenau and flown there from 08. March to 07. April 1942.
Does anybody knows the time and place of manufacturing.

JoMe

Norbert Schuchbauer 13th May 2005 19:06

Could it be a A-12?

I have info that this aircraft was with FFS (B) 6 in 1943 as a A-12.

Regards,

Norbert

Norbert Schuchbauer 13th May 2005 19:14

I made a mistake it should be FFS (C) 6

Sorry,

Norbert

Ruy Horta 13th May 2005 19:19

Norbert, this forum offers easy editing options, as long as it is done within 24hrs.

Just click http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/images/buttons/edit.gif

Norbert Schuchbauer 13th May 2005 20:07

Thank you Ruy,still learning,

Norbert

ArtieBob 13th May 2005 20:34

I am not at home, so I can't confirm the original assembly date, but it has to be late 39 or early 40, I will check also the assembly location when I get home tonite. At the time of the crash in 1941, the a/c was probably not an A-12 (which were all umbau a/c) as I really don't think any were converted to that subtype until later.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

edNorth 13th May 2005 23:09

Hi all

W.Nr. 0884001 etc..
Delivered in * March 1940 to January 1942
Serie Ju 88 A-1 / A-5 / A-4 (Dive-Bombers)

Lizence made fuselages by Norddeutcher Dornier Werke GmbH (Wismar <Perleberg?>) mounted with HWO wings, but Dornier-Sud (Friedrichshafen) made tails (Block II).
* Start of deliveries from NDD is belived around late February or early March 1940 [author]. The following is from BA-MA ´Schulen´ losses:

(W.Nr. 088)4001 Ju 88 A-1 / A-5 Gr.Kampffliegerschule 2
(Lw.Befh.Mitte) Non-OPS (S) engine failure and belly landed (25%) at Sauthern near Platting 27.05.1942 (BS Gefr. Willi Krebs and F Uffz. Wilhelm Kolatschek killed <amd in a/04.06.42>)
- Ju 88 A-12 FFS B 6 (Luftflotte Reich)
Non-OPS (S) technical troble and belly landed (15%) at Kolberg 22.06.1944 (F Uffz. Wilhelm Janßen injured)

Note the straight tip of the rudder, caracteristic of early A-1 / A-5 series machines.... also VDM (Metal) propellers... but it has A-5 type rear Beetle-Eyed twin-gun canopy frame...

edNorth

Norbert Schuchbauer 14th May 2005 00:23

I guess FFS B 6 was correct after all.

Thanks for the clarification,

Norbert

Norbert Schuchbauer 14th May 2005 00:25

Thanks for the clarification,

Norbert

ArtieBob 14th May 2005 00:53

W.Nr. 4001 was assembled at NDW Wismar. There were 3 a/c assembled in Jan. and 4 in Feb. 1940. This was probably one of those, but acceptances did not always (in fact, almost never) follow exact W.Nr. sequence as a result of problems that might require rework and additional flight testing. My records indicate A-12 conversion deliveries began in Mar. 1943. I believe the A-12s would all have had wooden props and the intercooler arrangement as per A-4, C-6, etc.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

edNorth 14th May 2005 01:29

Hi all

Ok - I guess ´ArtieBob´ has all the numbers lined up ????
Was W.Nr. 0884001 accepted by RLM BAL Perleberg or some other location ?????

edNorth

George Hopp 14th May 2005 04:05

Since the 1st photo shows a wingtip unit beyond the aileron tip, it would probably be an A-5 rather than an A-1.

edNorth 14th May 2005 13:01

Hi all

Yes I saw the wingtip also. The span was increased to lower VMC (Single engine minumum safety speed) and all surviving A-1´s upgraded after autumn 1940... however the basic airframe was still the Serie A-1.

edNorth

Graham Boak 14th May 2005 14:03

Can you clarify this point, please? Improvements to the Vmc will normally come from changes to the directional stability (yaw) - i.e. larger fin/rudder. Extending the wingtips would improve the lateral stability (roll).

Indeed, increasing the wing area will have reduced the take-off speed, thus increasing any interval between Vunstick and Vmc, thus placing the aircraft more at risk?

Admittedly the two stabilities tend to be linked - in this case yaw leading to roll as one wing "digs in". I can see how a reduction in the rate of roll due to yaw would be beneficial during this stage, but increasing the span wouldn't have been the change of choice to improve Vmc, surely?

edNorth 14th May 2005 23:10

Hi Graham

Well. Yes you may have a point there. I´m perhaps not the best person to explain this in detail. An qualified engineer likely could do better. But if you extend the wing you get higher ´aspect ratio´ - then ´smaller in velocity wingtip wortices´ and hence less drag flying at an high angle of attack, such as flying near Vmc just after take off - or thus flying at lesser angle of attack creates the same amount of lift - Then yes losing power on the ´critcal engine´ <the left engine> flying at below Vmc will lead to disaster - but solution to that is reducing the power on the good engine, pushing the stick forward to pick up speed and control is <hopefully> regained (but with small or large sink-rate). If too low altitude an controlled crash may result!

The quotation on lower Vmc I saw somewhere but may be confusion to lowering the wingloading and or lowering the stall speed. Anyway I would have extended the original Ju 88 A-1 wings on account of ´lesser drag/greater range/more payload and likely better manoverability with more effective inset-ailerons.

Having surveyed Ju 88 losses it indeed comes to light ´very high rate of belly-landings due to engine failures´. So If you had lost the critical engine a Ju 88 you might have been trained to land wheels up, rather than to lower the wheels and thus creating greater drag and stalling on final approach.

Anyway I have never flown an Ju 88 but I have limited twin-flying experience on light-twins; once actually landing with an ´dead´ engine...

... and yes the fin and rudder was indeed enlarged on the Ju 188 E & Ju 88 G.

cheers
edNorth