Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help Identify Aircraft Tail Panel (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=9553)

Schirmmutze 24th July 2007 17:01

Help Identify Aircraft Tail Panel

Hi, I was hoping to aquire this panel in the near future but first, I'd like to find out from what aircraft it's from. The card in the frame claims it's from a shot down FW190 but I don't think that's true. It doesn't match at all and I've had that confirmed by a chap involved in restoring an FW190 in the USA. Doesn't seem to match a 109 either so I'm a bit lost. Can anyone help?
Cheers
Ben

phil 25th July 2007 07:19

Re: Help Identify Aircraft Tail Panel

yes i can help you contact me offboard pls
junkers@londoner.zzn.com

Jon 25th July 2007 18:10

Come on then Ben, don't keep us it from us any longer what have you established about this.

Schirmmutze 25th July 2007 19:29

Jon, all I've managed to find out so far is that it's not 190 or 109, probably not 110 and that's it, I'm stuck!

Alex Smart 25th July 2007 20:05

Hi,

Can you show it in different positions please ?

It may be the wrong way up.

It does say that it was 1942 and found in the Boiler room of a school (?) by the then caretaker (?) who is named.

Alex

Schirmmutze 25th July 2007 20:25

That's right Alex but as a Third Reich collector, I've learn't to buy the item, never the story, unless there is concrete proof.
Here's the piece in all the possible angles..

Schirmmutze 25th July 2007 22:02

Ok, I'll try a different line of questions to see if it can help. Can anyone norrow down the possible date of manufacture based on the design of Swastika? Am I right in saying that tail fin insignia outlined in black was early war production?

stephen f. polyak 26th July 2007 18:07

What's the crash/school location named on the card? It looks like "Wildtham"? Where's that?

Identification of tail panels can be a challenge. Some possible pointers that when linked may lead to a/c type determination or elimination:

1) Location and date on card (if correct).

2) Style and size of swastika.

3) Paint colors and patterns.

4) Rivet patterns and back side structure (sometimes removed).

The panel has some very distinctive boundry features as made; e.g., an inside curve and straight edges (note lengths and angles). These details should certainly help if compared to profile line drawings of candidate a/c.

Good luck, and let let us know if you determine the type.

Jon 26th July 2007 19:34

What a beauty, i have seen many fakes in the past but looking at this albeit from a PC, this looks to be a genuine relic.
Why has it been discounted as being 190 or 109, also give us the school name and location then the rest should be easy.

Schirmmutze 26th July 2007 21:53

Ok, here's what I've been told about the history by the seller which I'm having a hard time to believe, not because he's untrusty, only because this is what he was told by someone else! It's not an FW190 panel as verified by a lot of sources, all knowledgable and independant. One is restoring an FW190 right now and the other is the son of a someone who helps restore 109's around the world.
But Jon, I agree, looks authentic doesn't it which is why I'm bugging you all and probably boring the life out of you as well!

"
This is the history on the Fw190 concerned.....
On the night of the 13/14 June 1943 (12.50 am) W/Cdr.John Cunnigham and Flt.Lt.C.F.Rawnsley (one of the RAF's most successful night fighter
crews)
shot down Fw 190A-5 WNr.840047 CO+LT during a night nuisance raid on London.
The aircraft crashed at Nettleford Farm, Borough Green, Kent. The aircraft disintegrated. The pilot Lt.H.Ullrich baled out seriously injured before the crash to become a PoW.
Cunnigham was CO 85 Sqn based at RAF West Malling - flying De Havilland Mosquito XII night fighters.
Ullrich belonged to the 3./SKG 10 (Schnellkampfgeschwader). This unit was based at St.Andre in France at this time. Gruppe Kommandeur was Hptm.Edmund Kraus."