Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Book on german planes used by USSR (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=6493)

Swiso69 27th October 2006 19:14

Book on german planes used by USSR

Hello everyone !

I think i have seen somewhere a book about German WWII planes captured by Russian forces and used by them...or it describe the fate of that planes....
I cannot remeber the title of the book.

Anyone has a suggestion ?

Thank You very much !

Best Regards

AA

Ruy Horta 27th October 2006 19:30

Re: Book on german planes used by USSR

From your description I think your mean:

Under the Red Star
Luftwaffe Aircraft in the Soviet Airforce
Carl-Fredrik Geust
Airlife, 1993
1-85310-395-0
Hard Cover

You may also be interested in:

Deutsche Spuren in der Sowjetischen Luftfahrtgeschichte
Dimitri A. Sobolew
Mittler & Sohn, 2000
3-8132-0675-0
Hard Cover

Carl-Fredrik Geust has written a whole series of books on this theme (Under the Red Star).

Swiso69 27th October 2006 20:11

Yesss !!!
Under the red star...this is it !

Thank You very much !!

I will look to the other one too....

One question...is there any mention on these two books at the Ta 152 H fighter ?

Best Regards
AA

Ruy Horta 27th October 2006 22:02

No mention in either.

I think your main interest would be in the Geust book, the other title is more about German influence on Soviet design and some continued development and testing of German designs in the Soviet Union and the DDR. Pretty general little specific performance data.

Griffon 27th October 2006 22:29

There is also a two volume work about this topic, published by German "Flugzeug" Verlag;
the books are called "Die deutschen Flugzeuge in russischen und sowjetischen Diensten" and both are written by authors Alexandrov and Petrov;
they may be hard to get, but if you are interested, I think my local book dealer still has some available; AFAIK, both together retail for only 25 Euros, so if you are interested, let me know :)

best regards
phil

ps.: here is a link to amazon.de for those books
http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_ss_w/0...0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

Jukka Juutinen 28th October 2006 03:44

I believe these two books mentioned by Griffon are available in English from Schiffer.

sveahk 28th October 2006 17:30

In Alexandrov and Petrovs book you have a couple of Fw 190 D-9 photos but no Ta 152's.

Greetings
Hans

Swiso69 28th October 2006 23:17

Thank You very much to all of You !

I will look for those books !

I asked about the Ta 152 for two reasons...first, this is my favourite plane of that era, and second because i think its strange that such an advanced plane ( in regard of performances ) was not a cause of interest by the Russian...
And more strange if You think that many factories dedicated to build this plane were located on East Germany ( Cottbus , Sorau , etc..) , were they fall into Russian hand...
I am sure to have read , maybe in Harmann book about this plane , that on those factories there was many fuselages and parts ready to be assembled , but could not because on the rapid advance of Russian forces....

So , i thought that maybe on that book "should" have any kind of note about this plane.

It's a sin that there's no informations about this plane , that come from the Russian archives.....
Who know...maybe in the future !

In the meantime i wait ( ..and wait...and wait..) for the Monogram Vol. 4 dedicated to this outstanding plane !
Let's hope that he will be shipped in december '06 for real....

Thanks !
Best regards to all

AA

Andrey Dikov 30th October 2006 12:33

>that on those factories there was many fuselages and parts ready to be assembled , but could not because on the rapid advance of Russian forces....

A number of German planes was handed over to Czechoslovakia, including Doras, Me 262 etc.

Soviets were not interested in German planes for real service (waiting for own modern jet fighters - MiG-9, Yak-15, MiG-15), but more they were interested in German techs and industry.