Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Balthasar Aretz (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=57285)

Johannes 12th May 2020 15:23

Balthasar Aretz

Hi Guys

I am currently working through this guys flugbuch, his comments are a little difficult to understand, or even make logical sense of. It appears he was a Hungarian pilot who after training was assigned to 2./Erpr.Gr.210 and makes his first combat sortie in August 1940, but this Staffel becomes 2./SKG210 in April 1941, yet it seems he ends up with 8./ZG26 before becoming a training pilot after 218 combat sorties with 2./ZG101 and 6./ZG101.

Assuming that he flew with 8./ZG26 in Russia(but possibly 2./SKG210, if they were ever in Russia) it's odd that his flugbuch does record sorties in Russia, yet the mikrofilms state that 8./ZG26 was still in the West early in the campaign, and though ZG26 is thought to have a few hundred claims over Russian aircraft, the mikrofilms which appear to be complete for this staffel has no claims on this front, and in general very few claims for the whole of ZG26 have ever come to light over Russia.

Questions are was he really with this Staffel in Russia, or possibly 2./SKG210 or another unit not yet connected to him?
He survived the war, but does anybody have his Date of Birth/Death.

His only claim recorded on the mikrofilms happened on 13 November 1943, and with 8./ZG26 yet he has other claims(as I read it) that are marked in his flugbuch in the same fashion as this one. Many of these other claims would have to be with 8./ZG26, as the mikrofilms are complete then he must have had a problem confirming them.

What do we all think?

Keep well

Johannes

John Vasco 12th May 2020 16:01

Re: Balthasar Aretz

Johannes,

Balthasar flew first with 3./StG 77.

He move with this Staffel to 2./Erpr. Gr. 210 upon its formation and, as you say, he flew his first mission with that unit on 15th August 1940 on the raid against Martlesham Heath.

On 5th October 1940 he was wounded in action over London and spent some months in hospital. Bordfunker throughout the Battle of Britain was Rolf Schilleng.

Upon discharge from hospital he returned to 2./Erpr. Gr. 210, and belly-landed Bf 110 E-1, S9+LK, W. Nr. 3485, in the evening of 21st March 1941. His Bordfunker was Uffz. Jachmann.

He transferred to a Aufklärungsgruppe 23, and flew recce missions in Russia.

He was then transferred to III./ZG 26, 8. Staffel as you say.

I met Balthasar during my attendances at the Wespentreffen in the 1980s.
Mrs. Aretz, me, and Balthasar at a Wespentreffen.
https://i.imgur.com/1HKH5qB.jpg

Johannes 13th May 2020 10:39

Re: Balthasar Aretz

Hi John

Many thanks for your elaborate reply. The Ag 23 information explains Russia and not being with 8./ZG26 at the time.
With 05 October 1940 he uses abbreviations, and I read the ab. as abschuss, so thanks for clearing that up.
He as I say marks his claim of 13.November 1943 in the same fashion as many other days, but all the others do not appear on the mikrofilms when they should, I have thought unconfirmed, but perhaps I am misreading his abbreviations !

Thanks again and stay well

Johannes

Richard Mills 24th November 2020 14:44

Balthasar Aretz

I am researching a copy of this Flugbuch myself, and (from my understanding at least) have come up with the following units:

Sturzkampffliegerschule Kitzingen / Sturzkampffliegerschule 1
Ergänzungs Stukagruppe Jesau
2./Erp.Gr. 210
StStf./StG 1
3.(H)/31
5.(H)/23
1./ENAGr
AufklErpStab
4.(H)/12
8./ZG 26
2./ZG 101
6./ZG 101
6./JG 106

Do I have this correct or have I missed something?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards Richard.

Richard Mills 20th February 2021 17:20

Balthasar Aretz Flugbuch - Erp.Gp. 210 Bordfunkers

Looking at the entries in the Balthasar Aretz Flugbuch from his time within Erprobungsgruppe 210, I am hoping that someone might have some additional information on the following listed Bordfunkers;

Reichelsdörfer
Feldwebel Kudattke
Bernlochner.

As always, any help whatsoever will be gratefully received.

Regards Richard.