Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Bü 180 Student with enclosed cockpit? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=15379)

Dénes Bernád 11th December 2008 14:33

Bü 180 Student with enclosed cockpit?

The family of the late Fw. Scholz (see the other thread) gave me a pair of photos showing him in front of a sports airplane with enclosed cockpit.
I would have not recognised the airplane type, if the name would not have been written on the engine cowling: Bücker Student.

I was not aware of the existence of an enclosed cockpit version of Bü 180. Can anyone give us details, incl. possible civilian markings?

Thanks,

Dénes Bernád 11th December 2008 14:45

Re: Bü 180 Student with enclosed cockpit?

After checking THE source on Bücker airplanes, the book by Erwin König, printed by NARA-Verlag in Switzerland, I can give myself a (partial) answer.

There was indeed a version of the Student with enclosed cockpit.
In the book, only photos of D-EBRQ and -ESBS are given. However, my photo shows the first two letters of the civilian code as D-ER_ _. The last letter might be a T, an E or an F.

Does anyone know the full code?

Thanks, again.

Stig Jarlevik 11th December 2008 20:51

Dénes

I checked what I got on this rather obscure Bücker type which was overshadowed by its side-by-side development, the Bü 181. I don't think many were built. Those I have found in the German civil register are

V-1 D-ELIO WNr 2101 also stated as Model A
V-2 D-EPCS WNr 2102 dito
V-3 D-EBRQ WNr 2103 dito
D-ENVQ WNr 2104 model A to OK-SHA or OK-SHO
D-ESBS model A
D-ECGK model B
D-EDEF model B
D-EDFH model B
D-EQLD model B
D-ESJF model B
D-ETFS WNr 2110 model B
D-EVGR model B

Maybe the A model had an open cockpit and model B the enclosed one?
Nahh, that would be too simple wouldn't it...:rolleyes:

Anyone got any more??
Cheers
Stig

Dénes Bernád 11th December 2008 21:10

Thanks, Stig. I am afraid the picture didn't get much clearer. More details are necessary.

Perhaps my previous post wasn't very precise. In this case let me clarify that D-EBRQ and -ESBS were both the enclosed cockpit version. As for your theory, I am afraid things are never simple. :)

P.S. One Bü 180 was also exported to Rumania (open cockpit).

Stig Jarlevik 11th December 2008 21:42

No I guess you are right Dénes

Since the V-3 (aka also model A) D-EBRQ is shown without canopy in the Bücker book, I suppose if you have a photo of it with a closed cockpit, then it is not THAT which makes the difference between A and B models.

When checking Lange (which I should have done in the first place:o) I suppose we again have the engine as the "villain"....

Model A used a 55 hp Zündapp engine
Model B used a 60 hp Walter Mikron (40 built)

I guess the "greenhouse" then could be put on and off at pretty much the teachers own choice....

Cheers
Stig