Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Obituaries (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Don Greer - Cover Artist for Squadron / Signal Publications (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=62707)

Edward 28th October 2022 04:26

Don Greer - Cover Artist for Squadron / Signal Publications

It seems that well-known aviation artist Don Greer, whose work graced many a cover of Squadron / Signal publications, has recently passed.

Hopefully a full obituary will be forthcoming.

Below is his own synopsis of his career in Military and Aviation art.
"I was born an artist. As a child during WWII, the events and armaments used during the war were particularly fascinating to me. I would spend hours drawing the airplanes, tanks and ships that were the pride of our country. I guess that's when my passion for drawing military machine began. One of my favorite airplanes to draw was the P-51 Mustang, a true workhorse of the war. I went to work at a small art studio and eventually got a job with GM Trucks as an artist apprentice. I learned a lot from the talented artists there as I observed the technical skills necessary to become an illustrator. I was hired by AMT, a model company in Troy Michigan, to illustrate the cars and trucks that were used on the boxes. It was there I met Al Borst, a veteran of WWII who became an inspiration to me. He was incredibly talented, and he taught me many tricks of the trade.

I worked at AMT for eight years before I met Jerry Campbell at Squadron in Highland Park, Michigan. He hired me as an illustrator in 1970 where I worked on the company catalogue as well as Squadron Signal Books. My first book cover was the P-47 Thunderbolt in 1975. Throughout my years as an illustrator for Squadron Signal Publications I have illustrated hundreds of books, from aviation, tanks, ships and more. I retired from Squadron in 2015 after a career of over sixty years. I hope that my art will continue to educate and inspire long after I am gone."

Teresa Maria 11th November 2022 19:07

Re: Don Greer - Cover Artist for Squadron / Signal Publications

Rest in peace.

Edward 21st November 2022 21:08

Obituary - Donald Greer
Dallas Morning News - Oct. 30, 2022

Donald Greer passed away peacefully, surrounded by family, at his home on Monday, October 17th, 2022.

Donald was born in Pontiac, Michigan, in 1938 where he became a world-renowned aviation and automotive artist. He was the lead illustrator at AMT from 1962-1970 and then became one of the founders of Squadron Signal Publications where he illustrated thousands of books on military aircraft and history. His work has inspired a generation of aviation artists and is featured in many museums, including The Smithsonian.

Don was preceded in death by his parents Paul and Margaret; brothers Jack and James; and son Donnie. He is survived by his loving wife of 47 years, Susan; his sons Michael of Traverse City, MI; Paul and his wife Molly of Austin, TX; David and his wife Stacy of Arlington, TX; and his grandchildren Ivan, Jared, Sophie, Stella, Sadie and Gavin.

John Beaman 22nd November 2022 15:55

Sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family.

He was a great person to work with.