Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   The Second World War in General (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Usage of Pervitin (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=6520)

Jens 30th October 2006 13:21

Usage of Pervitin

Only sometimes there is a possibility of hints about usage of pervitin in Luftwaffe. I have found an episode in Steinhoffs "Strasse von Medina", but what about others? Does anybody has some hints?

Ruy Horta 30th October 2006 18:37

Re: Usage of Pervitin

There are more references, IIRC Lipfert also mentions the use in his biography. I've certainly come across more examples, but haven't made a note on the subject (although I have on occasion asked questions about it).

Tomislav Haramincic 30th October 2006 23:14

Hello,

According to todays definitions, Pervitin is a drug or more precise it is the commercial name for methamphetamine. It was produced since 1938 by the Temmler pharmaceutical company in Berlin. In 1941 the sale of Pervitin was restricted.

Use Google for more information.

regards,
Tomi

Nick Beale 30th October 2006 23:20

I think you'll find that the RAF and USAAF gave aircrew benzedrine to stave off fatigue as well.

Give young men guns, powerful machinery and speed ... what could possibly go wrong?

Marcel van Heijkop 30th October 2006 23:38

I./kg66

I know from at least one veteran that it was used with I./KG66, the Luftwaffe's Pathfinder unit, during Unternehmen Steinbock (the Baby Blitz) in early 1944.

Regards,

Marcel

Jens 1st November 2006 13:01

Thanks!

Lipfert stated only usage of Alcohol IIRC, but i am not sure.

@ Marcel van Heijkop

Can you give any name please?

Jean-Yves Lorant 2nd November 2006 10:21

Hi Jens,

Former JG 300 pilots told me that some of them used regularly Pervitin during the last months of the war, especially men of I. and III./JG 300. I heard some reports about unexpected bad effects. For example:" Hauptmann Fritz Lonzius, unser Gruppenkommandeur, war am Kriegsende Pervitin-abhängig und nicht mehr fähig, die Gruppe in der Luft zu führen..."

best wishes from France - JY.

PeterVerney 2nd November 2006 22:13

We were issued with benzedrine in our survival equipment, to be used to stay awake if necessary. This was early 50s

Franek Grabowski 2nd November 2006 23:04

Benzedrine is superior to amphetamine, the latter causing more effects rather than killing sleepness. Anyway, it is interesting if use of 'speeds' resulted in any increase of accidents. This must have been a subject of scientific research and I believe the stuff must have been rationed.

Smith 3rd November 2006 00:40

Some years ago I worked with a US Vietnam vet ... a grunt as I recall it. He told me the radio operators in most patrols, and the guys back at the fire control bases or whatever they call them, were heavy users. Point being that with one end of the conversation going like wild-fire, the other end had to play the same game! Could be urban myth, but then again we hear of lots of drug use in 'Nam. D