Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   identify Wellington Bomber Holland (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=47860)

michel 12th April 2017 17:46

identify Wellington Bomber Holland

1 Attachment(s)
Hi All,

Who can help identify this Wellington Bomber which crashed somewhere in Holland.
look at the factory on the right side "Ijsel"

On thew back is written Wellington am IJsselmeer.

Thanks in advance,

Michel

Alex Smart 13th April 2017 03:42

Re: identify Wellington Bomber Holland

Hello,
The weapons are still in the turret, the Luftwaffe "Guard?" I expect is there because of this.
There is a picture of I believe to be the same a/c with weapons removed in the SGLO Research site.
Another picture which shows an a/c of 9 Sqdn "L o WS" partially burnt could be this one stripped of skin and in a scrap area ?
Then again it may be another a/c as yet still unidentified.
The SGLO have three known Islemere Wellingtons listed.
N2844 - HA-M.
R1322 - SM-F.
Z1663 - KO-J
Alex

Col Bruggy 14th April 2017 08:02

Hello,

The photo depicts No.99 Sqn Wellington IC R3170, which was lost on 5/6-7-1940 raiding Kiel. The aircraft was hit by flak and crashed near Haarlem (Noord Holland).

P/O (Pilot) R A G Willis - PoW
P/O (2nd Pilot) J W P Perkins - PoW
Sgt (Nav.) K A R MacArthur - PoW
Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.) G F Scanlon - PoW
Sgt (Rear Gnr.) G F Sexton - +

You will find another photo of the wreck in:

Wimpy:A Detailed Illustrated History of the Vickers Wellington in Service 1938-1953.
Bond,Steve.
London:Grub Street,2014.
p.45

and...

The story which unfolds is attributed to Mr Aad Neeven, a Dutch War Historian and a member of the Historical Society of Haarlem, Holland.

Willis and his crew decided that on their return journey to the United Kingdom they would drop their bombs on Schiphol (Amsterdam) airport. All but two of the bombs were dropped, but missed the airport. On crossing the Dutch coast Willis decided to make one more attack and chose the main hangar as a target. A descent was made to 1,000 feet and bombs were released. Whilst this was happening the aircraft was hit and damaged by anti-aircraft fire, the co-pilot, Pilot Officer J. W. P. Parkins[sic], being injured and the port engine set on fire. The aircaft rapidly lost altitude and drifted towards the town of Haarlem. On the eastern side of the town a wheels-up landing was made at 0340 am resulting in the aircraft slicing its way through fields, across a ditch and over a road. It finally came to rest on crashing into a row of seven houses which, along with the Wellington, instantly erupted in flames. Some of the houses were unoccupied and the occupants of the remainder, having been alerted by the anti-aircraft fire, managed to escape before the impact. The Wellington and all the houses were destroyed.

See:
Each Tenacious:A History of No.99 (Madras Presidency) Squadron (1917 - 1976)
Edgerley, A G (Sqn.Ldr.).
Worcester:Square One Publications,1993
pp.74-5.

see also: BCL1(2nd.ed.)/162-3.

and... http://verliesregister.studiegroeplu...php?SGLO=T0743

Col.

michel 14th April 2017 13:01

Col,
Many thanks for the info, I know Aad, and will send him a email,

you the best..

Michel

Alex Smart 14th April 2017 14:48

Hello,
Here is a link to the photo I mentioned in my earlier post

http://www.studiegroepluchtoorlog.nl...mation-wanted/

Alex

michel 14th April 2017 15:29

1 Attachment(s)
Alex, thanks for the link,

I have another Wellington which crash-landed, can you also help identify this plane?

Thanks

Michel

Col Bruggy 14th April 2017 17:42

Hello,

Possibility:

Code looks like OT or QT, indicating No.142 Squadron. Looks like port propellor feathered, or not turning, when crash-landed.

12/13 August, 1941
No.142 Sqn.
Wellington II W5433:QT-?
Op: Berlin.

Took off 2046 Binbrook. Last heard on w/t indicating the port engine had failed and the Wellington was being abandoned.

F/L A D Gosman - PoW
F/O J R Gibbon - PoW
F/L R McD Durham - PoW
Sgt L Frith - PoW
Sgt K S Holman - PoW
Sgt J Jackson RNZAF - PoW

See:BCL2/116

Col.

Alex Smart 14th April 2017 17:50

Hello Col,
I'm not sure you have the right one this time.
Look's to me like the Starboard(right) engine had been feathered and she came down on the Port(left) still running.
Happy Easter
Alex

Col Bruggy 14th April 2017 18:33

Alec,

Noted!

Col.

Alex Smart 15th April 2017 01:25

Hello,
Look's like the serial number begins with either a "T" or "W" and at least a 2 and a 4 in the number's.
The roundel and fin flash should also give a time period .
At a glance the code is "OT" but could also be "QT" .
Bomber Development Unit was it seems "OT" but would any of their a/c be over enemy territory ?
Then depending on the "odd/even" camouflage pattern did a/c carry the code differently ?
I.e 115 Sqdn "KO - T" could perhaps also be "K- OT" ?

Alex