Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Soviet? wreck photo on German e-bay (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=2117)

G. Warrener 4th August 2005 16:23

Soviet? wreck photo on German e-bay

Hello

Could someone identify the photo # 6196773901 - which type is it?

Is it Soviet - Polikarpov?

my knowledge is unfortunately 'lacking'

thanks
Graham W.

Graham Boak 5th August 2005 10:23

Re: Soviet? wreck photo on German e-bay

It is a Yakovlev AIR 15, or UT-1 single-seat trainer.

G. Warrener 5th August 2005 20:46

yakity yak - don't talk back... but

Hi Graham B

Your suggestions are welcomed but I am not convinced. OK what I know about inter-war Soviet light aeroplanes could be written on the back of a small postage stamp with a thick 2B pencil but.....

This is not a UTI 1 or 2 - it has retracting undercart and polikarpovryish doors to cover 'em.

I have never seen a picture of a pre-war Yak 15 - only the post-war jet.

I thought it might be a Russian R10 or Vultee V11 copy - but it seems too small.

The smooth cowling baffles me as does the cockpit frame position.

not to mention the average Wehrmacht soldier's ability to stand/sit in exactly the wrong place for posterity. ;-(

Graham W.

Lennart Andersson 6th August 2005 10:33

It is a Neman R-10.

Lennart Andersson

G. Warrener 6th August 2005 21:32

hmmmmmmmmmmm......

Hello Lennart,

It is comforting to know that other people make the same choice.. but.. I am still not sure, this wreck has a cowling which blends into the fuselage. and the u/c doors do not match anything I have seen for an R10. Similarly I thought the R10 had a shuttered front cowl similar to a "Rata"

oh dear.....

Graham

Dénes Bernád 7th August 2005 17:43

That particular airplane must have been 'parked' near a well-travelled road, as it was photographed from all angles by German soldiers. Myself have several photos of it.

I concur with Mr. Andersson, that it is a Neman R-10. Check out the 3-view drawing included in the Putnam book on Soviet Aircraft and Aviation, p. 183, book written by... Lennart Andersson.

G. Warrener 7th August 2005 22:49

thank you!

Thank you Dénes, Lennart & Graham B

clearly yet another book that I should have.............

sigh..............

my only 3-view is in A.F.P. vol 2 - which I must presume is quite 'dated' by now

Graham

Graham Boak 8th August 2005 10:15

Apologies: I was clearly looking at the wrong photo. I assure you that the one I was looking at was an AIR-15!

G. Warrener 8th August 2005 23:44

Steady on thur chuck!

tis I who has put his foot in it. Evidently if I had spent my dosh on books rather than ale - then I would have known what this bloody aeroplane was.

Having said that - your ruddy AIR 15 seems a reet awkard bugger to find on the www.

Eh up, lad! it'll all cum owt right in the wash...

Graham W 2 G B

(eeh baah gum / up & over - us's vrum Devon bay...)