Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   605 squadron pilot (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=8237)

Milan Hercut 30th March 2007 16:24

605 squadron pilot

Dear friends
I´m seeking any info about circumstances of death of US. member of the 605 squadron - F/O Albert A. Horvath (New York) -108635, who died 05/11/1942 and was burried in Ranchi War Cmetery, India.
TIA Milan

Alex Smart 1st April 2007 02:26

Re: 605 squadron pilot

Hello Milan,

Do not know who the pilot was but the only loss of a Hurricane that I could find for the date given was for a 615 Squadron a/c.

BN863 of 615 note not 605.

Stalled at low level and crashed 8m SW of JIGARGAMHA.

Afraid I cannot find where that is.

But all of 605 Sqdn ground crews were captured in Java so what became of the aircrew I have read they merged into another Squadron.

The Squadron was reformed again at a later date .

Details from Air Britain BA100 to BZ999

Alex

paul peters 1st April 2007 14:23

Milan,
Ian Piper's 605 book has a roll of honour. It mentions F/O Albert Alexander Horvath, pilot, age 25 5 Nov 1942.
No more info.
Paul

Milan Hercut 2nd April 2007 11:03

Thanks friends,

I dont think so, that it was flying accident, may be he died due to some kind of dissease or something else? Who knows...

May have somebody 605 sq ORB with info about his activities ....

thanks again

Milan

Amrit1 20th April 2007 16:54

Hi,

as a first post to this forum, I'd like to add some information about Horveth from "Hurricanes over the Arakan" by Norman Franks who states that:

Quote:

On the 5th, Pilot Officer Al (AA) Horveth, an American with the squadron (615 Squadron) was killed doing a beat-up of the airfield
The airfield in question was Feni, which is approx 50 NW of Chittagong (in modern Bangladesh).

However, as there is no Horveth listed in the CWGC, there seems to be a discrepancy on both surname and squadron.

EDIT - my apologies - there is a photograph of Horvath in the aforementioned book (appropriately spelt name) - however in the body of the text of the book it is spelt Horveth. If you would like photo I could scan a copy. And the photograph definately states 615 Squadron, killed 5 Nov 1942. It appears that the CWGC is wrong - not for the first time.

Alex Smart 20th April 2007 18:19

hello Amrit1,

Welcome to this Wonderful Website.

I am sure that you will find the site easy to use and the members very helpful and friendly.

So was 615 Squadron after all, so might just be the Hurricane loss that i noted inmy earlier post after all.

As a little addition, some 260+ known airmen from 605 Squadron were taken pow in Java, 65 known were to die as pow's. ref is "Unsung Heroes of the Royal Air Force" by Les & Pam Stubbs

Can you assist in the place names please.

Is the airfield at Feni, anywhere close to the place given in my earlier post, Jigargamha ?

Thank you and again welcome

Alex

Amrit1 20th April 2007 18:59

Hi Alex

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, it certainly seems to be 615 Squadron, and the CWGC entry is a typo (as I stated this is not unusual). I've got the Stubbs' book; it's a great reference. One of these days I'm going to have to go to the Nationa Archives and check out the POW questionnaires to see if I can fill in some of the gaps on those with "unit unknown".

As to the airfield, yes it is at Feni. According to "RAF Squadrons" by Jefford, the only other airfields close by are Parashuram, about 10 miles north of Feni and Fazilpur, about 3 or 4 miles SE.

As to Jigargamha - it's got me stumpted. I've tried a number of spellings (as English transliterations of local names could be notoriously inaccurate) but still nothing. I've even tried the Bangladeshi census returns for any villages with similar names, but to no avail. Sorry I can't help more.

A

Alex Smart 21st April 2007 15:07

Thank you Amrit 1 for the try. Maybe it was some sort of local place name that has since been lost to history through time passing.
Thanks
Alex

Milan Hercut 23rd April 2007 10:43

Amrit1,

thank you very much for new info about Horvath, could you make scan of Horvath´s photo. Is there ("Hurricanes Over The Arakan") any other info about him? And what about his ID number, is the same as in CWGC?

with best wishes
Milan Hercut

Amrit1 23rd April 2007 12:48

Hi Milan

I'm afraid the only information in the aforementioned book is two lines on his death. But I've noticed that CWGC tends to be Ok for most details except unit (but there may always be an exception!).

I've attached the scan - sorry about the quality but I couldn't get the book any flatter.

Cheers
A