Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   New books by Brian Cull (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=24766)

Brian 21st March 2011 15:49

New books by Brian Cull

Hi guys

I thought I would update those who may be interested on the state of play regarding the following forthcoming titles, which have again been delayed - on this occasion due to the tragic and unexpected death of our designer, Steve Thompson.

BLUE on BLUE Volume I to be published by Tally Ho Publishing, a new outfit (website under construction)

FLYING SAILORS at WAR Volume I to be published by D&V.

Steve Thompson was the designer for both companies.

It is hoped that both volumes will appear next month (April)

Also available shortly with be MARYLANDS over MALTA, to be published by Wise Owl of Malta.

Some good reading for the coming months!!

Cheers
Brian

mars 21st March 2011 16:47

Re: New books by Brian Cull

Bravo! Bravo ! And interstingly, I somehow found your book "Blue on Blue" is listed on the amazon.fr:
http://www.amazon.fr/Blue-Friendly-A...0722385&sr=1-4

Brian 21st March 2011 17:58

Hi Mars

I'm shocked!

It's also on Amazon UK, but we haven't approached or been approached by Amazon!

When I recover I will make enquiries!

Thanks
Brian

Stig Jarlevik 21st March 2011 22:43

Very good news Brian

All three titles look very interesting. Can you keep us posted how to get the Maryland title. I am pretty certain the main book shops will provide the other two. I have been waiting for the Flying Sailors ever since you told us it was in the pipeline.... :)

Cheers
Stig

Antoine 17th April 2011 08:06

Hello Brian,

Is Blue on blue available at the moment?
And is it possible to obtain it straight from you?

Thanks

Ruud1970 28th April 2011 11:12

Hello,

I am very interested in aviation in the Middle-East. I read the excellent books Spitfires over Israel (1948 war) and Wings over Suez (1956 war).

Will there be books from Brian Cull on the Six-Day War (1967) and/or the Yom Kippur War (1973) in the same format?

Thanks!!

Ruud

Orwell1984 29th May 2011 15:46

I've been checking out Wise Owl's website for the Maryland title. Any further word on a release date? Looking forward to it.

Brian 30th May 2011 16:02

Hi guys

Latest updates

Blue on Blue has just been released and I do have some copies available. So, yes, Antoine, you can order direct from me. £19.95 plus postage - and signed! Even though Amazon have it advertised, I don't think it will be available via that outlet for some time. See Tally Ho Publishing website for more information (although still under construction).

Marylands over Malta should be available in June. I will keep you advised.

Flying Sailors at War - apparently with printers, therefore imminent.

Thanks for the interest.

Brian

Brian 30th May 2011 22:53

Hi Ruud

Thanks for teh compliments.

I am hoping to do the Six Day War someday, but ......!

Brian

mars 31st May 2011 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 128792)
Hi guys

Latest updates

Blue on Blue has just been released and I do have some copies available. So, yes, Antoine, you can order direct from me. £19.95 plus postage - and signed! Even though Amazon have it advertised, I don't think it will be available via that outlet for some time. See Tally Ho Publishing website for more information (although still under construction).

Marylands over Malta should be available in June. I will keep you advised.

Flying Sailors at War - apparently with printers, therefore imminent.

Thanks for the interest.

Brian

Brian, if you have a amazon "seller account" which is free, you could sell your book via amazon, it would be much easier for us to purchase.

phasselgren 4th September 2011 16:49

Hi,

Any news about when MARYLANDS over MALTA will be published?

Cheers,
Peter

John Beaman 4th September 2011 23:18

Re: Marylands over Malta

Brian,

Just out of curiosity, have you included information from ULTRA that indicated (without telling the pilots), where to go so they could likely "see" the Axis convoys, so they could be attacked without giving away the ULTRA secret?

Brian 5th September 2011 23:18

Hi Peter and John (and anyone else interested!)

Marylands over Malta has yet to be published. I am awaiting information, having submitted the m/s many moons ago.

I will post here asap ............

Yes, John, mention is made of Ultra's contribution.

Cheers and thanks for the interest

Brian

Brian 22nd September 2011 22:35

Hi guys

Frustrating news is that Marylands over Malta is delayed until next spring.

Apologies, but worth waiting for!

Cheers
Brian

Orwell1984 29th September 2011 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian (Post 134659)
Hi guys

Frustrating news is that Marylands over Malta is delayed until next spring.

Apologies, but worth waiting for!

Cheers
Brian

Looking forward to it. Any developments on availability of Blue on Blue?

Brian 1st October 2011 21:27

Hi Orwell

You obviously missed my earlier posting. Blue on Blue Volume 1 is available to TOCH members for £15.00 plus postage (£6.81 to Canada). Normal retail £19.95.

Should you like a copy let me know. I have a few left that I will sign and send personally (bulk with distributor).

Cheers
Brian

Brian 14th October 2011 21:35

Thanks for your orders, Mark (aka Orwell)

Books on the way.

Cheers
Brian

Brian 9th February 2012 21:27

Hi guys

Latest updates on my forthcoming titles:

Bad news - MARYLANDS OVER MALTA still delayed. Not this spring after all.

Good news - my latest effort - FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN - has just been accepted and should be available in the summer. More to come ...

FLYING SAILORS AT WAR Volume 2 should be out later this year.

BLUE ON BLUE Volume 2 possibly later in the year.

FIRST OF THE FEW - earmarked for Christmas 2012!

I hope there is something of interest for one and all!

Cheers
Brian

BruceMk11 10th February 2012 06:56

Hi Brian,

Your upcoming title 'Fighters over the Aegean' takes my interest. Could you please provide a few details, especially the period it covers (1940-1945?)

Cheers,

Bruce

Brian 10th February 2012 12:42

Hi Bruce

Thanks for the interest.

FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN covers 1943-45, and features Operation Thesis (the mass Hurricane attack on Crete), Spitfire and Beaufighter operations over Kos and Leros, Beaufighter day operations over the Aegean, Beaufighter night operations, the special high-flying Spitfire flight at Aboukir against the Ju86s and Ju88s, etc etc. As with my other books, all available German and Italian aerial involvement is included.

The Aegean airwar has not been previously covered in such detail. I hope you and others will find it of interest.

Cheers
Brian

Jim Oxley 10th February 2012 14:10

That is a fascinating subject! Really looking forward to the Aegean book.

Brian 10th February 2012 14:52

Hi Jim

I have found the research fascinating.

I will keep those interested fully informed on progress.

Cheers
Brian

BruceMk11 11th February 2012 06:07

Thanks for those details Brian. That is a period of the air war in the Med of which my knowledge is pretty basic, so I'm really looking forward to your book.

Cheers,

Bruce

Martin Gleeson 12th February 2012 01:35

Brian,

Delighted to learn of your forthcoming publications. Several are on my 'must buy' list already !

Could you please tell us something about 'FIRST OF THE FEW' ? Is it an biography ?

For anyone interested in the Fleet Air Arm or the Norwegian Campaign I cannot recommend highly enough your 'FLYING SAILORS AT WAR, Vol. 1'. In my opinion it is the most detailed work yet on the FAA early operational history. So I am really looking forward to Volume 2.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Lagarto 13th February 2012 18:00

I'm also looking forward to the FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN. Thank you for having filled so many voids in the history of WWII aviation.

ANDREAS 14th February 2012 07:17

Count me in for the "The Fighters over Aegean" book. It is already in my list. I have a question though: will it cover the operations of IV/JG27 in the second part of 1943 against American bombers over continental Greece?

Brian 14th February 2012 16:53

Hi guys

Thanks for the interest and kind words, always encouraging!

Martin: FIRST OF THE FEW covers air activities during the month or so before the 'official' start of the Battle of Britain - 5 June up to 9 July 1940; this period is generally overlooked. It covers the RAF in France, the RAF over France and the Channel, the RAF in defence of the night skies, together with coverge of the Luftwaffe, the French and the Italians.

Andreas: FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN does not include US bombing missions over the Greek mainland, but does cover the actions of the USAAF B-25G strafers over the Aegean.

Cheers
Brian

Dominik 15th March 2012 22:06

Brian
So far I've only covered 3-4 of your books and I've found them most interesting. After reading about your forthcoming titles I can't wait for 'Fighters over the Aegean' and 'First of the Few'. But I have other question. In other thread on this forum you've mentioned 'Spitfires over Tunisia'. When can we expect its releasing?

Regards

Dominik

JG53_Volto 26th March 2012 18:33

Great Brian...I'm looking forward to have first of the Few & Fighters over the aegean!!
Cheers
I'm still looking for Fighters over tunisia an acceptable price!

Brian 27th March 2012 13:13

Hi guys

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope both forthcoming books will meet with your approval.

Dominik: When I realised that Chris Shores was actually doing his re-write of Fighters over Tunisia, I decided not to go ahead with my proposed Spitfires over Tunisia, even though I had made a start.

I have been advised by my publisher that Fighters over the Aegean should appear in September. So back to the grindstone!!

Cheers
Brian

D G Brown 3rd April 2012 10:08

Brian, it is very interesting to see the subjects covered, and I've enjoyed reading Flying Sailors to get more background on family members who were TAGs. I'd have a query about the loss of the Walrus on 31 Oct 1939.

You say "Bill Brown" was the TAG on the plane, and I'm wondering what source you had for that name, as he is shown as "WH Brown" elsewhere. His name was William Harry Brown, and he was Harry to his family. He could have been called Bill by Navy mates if introduced as William.

My interest though is in whether there are sources of information I've not found so far.

David

Brian 3rd April 2012 16:40

Hi David

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately I am unable to pinpoint actual reference to where 'Bill' came from.

Best wishes
Brian

Dominik 21st April 2012 16:08

Brian
I've just found the information that the "Fighters over Aegean" will be published in September - can you confirm this date?
When can we expect "First of the Few" and who will publish it?
And coming back to "Spitfires over Tunisia" I think you definitely should publish this book - or maybe change the title to "Spitfires over Africa" and cover the whole combat service of the plane over the sands and rocks of "Black Continent".
Please check your PM - some questions send.

Brian 22nd April 2012 11:03

Hi Dominik

Thanks for the enquiries.

FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN - my publisher confirms September.

FIRST OF THE FEW - probably Spring 2013. Same publisher as above.

As I mentioned, Chris Shores will include North African Spitfire operations in his new series. I wouldn't wish to step on his toes!

Cheers
Brian

Brian 26th August 2012 12:10

Hi guys

FIGHTERS OVER THE AEGEAN

Due for publication 20 September - available pre-order from Amazon for just £13.29!!

Note: Mock cover shown on Amazon!!!

But the content is good - the first indepth account of fighter operations over the Aegean 1943-1944

Lagarto 26th August 2012 12:30

Thank you Brian, great news. By the way, the cover did surprise me a little since it depicts a scrap over Valetta :)

Orwell1984 26th August 2012 13:49

Book ordered and eagerly anticipated!

Brian 28th August 2012 12:13

Thanks guys

Seems like at least two sales - the publisher will be happy!

Cheers
Brian

Dominik 28th August 2012 13:21

Brian
There are three orders at least - I ordered one a few months ago through a bookshop in Poland.
By the way, can you tell us what books are you working now?

Rousselotalexis 28th August 2012 13:54

Hello,

I also order the book. I am very interested about air operations at Kos.