Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Japanese and Allied Air Forces in the Far East (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   49th FG - P-40 flown by Donald Lee (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=8991)

Christoph 2nd June 2007 21:17

49th FG - P-40 flown by Donald Lee

Hello all,

I am doing some research about the P-40 Warhawk flown by Donald Lee (49th FG/7th FS) in 1943. I was able to find four photos of the plane, two in William N. Hess's "49th Fighter Group" (Osprey) and two in "49th Fighter Group" by Ernest R. McDowell (Squadron/Signal). The Warhawk was named "PISTOFF" (written on both sides of the a/c's nose) and wears the number "34".

In the book written by Hess the aircraft is identified as a P-40E in the photograph captions but in the colour profiles section it is designated as a P-40K (serial unknown). The photographs do not show the Warhawk's tail (-Ks had a dorsal fin) but it was equipped with the late style fish tail exhausts - but these were also used on P-40Es. Has anyone here more information about Lee's P-40? Was it an -E or a -K? Can more information about it found in "Protect & Avenge - The 49th Fighter Group in WWII"?

Many thanks in advance!

JACK COOK 2nd June 2007 23:32

Re: 49th FG - P-40 flown by Donald Lee

Don was a friend of mine.
He flew 2 P-40s. The first was a E named "Bits-O-Hawk"
and the second was K #34 "Pistoff" so named because Don was pisted off
to be stuck with P-40s while the 9th FS got the P-38s. He was shot down and badly wounded in this a/c. Don later commanded the 67th FS 13th AF.

Christoph 2nd June 2007 23:45

Jack, many thanks for your help! It is also interesting to hear why the pilot named his P-40 "PISTOFF", I assumed it had something to do with the war in general or with the circumstances under the pilots had to fly and fight. Thanks for the input.

Another interesting point: The main wheel discs were decorated with a white star and circle some time during the aircraft's career. Do you know anything about this?

Jim Oxley 3rd June 2007 05:52

Although the excellent book "Protect and Avenge: The 49th Fighter group In World War II" doesn't contain any pictures of 'Pistoff', there is a picture of Lee's first P-40 'Bitzahawk'.

7th Squadron on 4 March 1942 were detailed to move from Bankstown Airport (just west of Sydney) to Horn Island located just off the coast of Cape York at the northernmost point of Queensland. The trip involved flying almost 3,000km. On the way north Lee (with two others) had to abort and landed at the RAAF base of Charters Towers (100 k short of Townsville) for repairs. While the other two pilots quickly returned south, Lee had no choice but to remain for several weeks whilst his P-40 received a major overhaul. It was here he named it 'Bitzahawk'. Following the repairs Lee flew onto Darwin in late March.

gian paolo 3rd June 2007 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christoph (Post 44171)
Hello all,

I am doing some research about the P-40 Warhawk flown by Donald Lee (49th FG/7th FS) in 1943. I was able to find four photos of the plane, two in William N. Hess's "49th Fighter Group" (Osprey) and two in "49th Fighter Group" by Ernest R. McDowell (Squadron/Signal). The Warhawk was named "PISTOFF" (written on both sides of the a/c's nose) and wears the number "34".

In the book written by Hess the aircraft is identified as a P-40E in the photograph captions but in the colour profiles section it is designated as a P-40K (serial unknown). The photographs do not show the Warhawk's tail (-Ks had a dorsal fin) but it was equipped with the late style fish tail exhausts - but these were also used on P-40Es. Has anyone here more information about Lee's P-40? Was it an -E or a -K? Can more information about it found in "Protect & Avenge - The 49th Fighter Group in WWII"?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Christoph

P-40K 34 Pistoff serial number 42-45979 was the mount of Don Lee in 1943

P-40E 34 Pistoff serial number 41-5565 flown by 2lt Brown lost in combat

on 14 June 1942

best regards

gian paolo

Christoph 3rd June 2007 15:27

Jim and gian, thank you very much for your help!

@gian paolo, is a photograph published from the second "PISTOFF"? The fact that there were two P-40s with this name is new to me. They both carried #34?

gian paolo 3rd June 2007 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christoph (Post 44213)
Jim and gian, thank you very much for your help!

@gian paolo, is a photograph published from the second "PISTOFF"? The fact that there were two P-40s with this name is new to me. They both carried #34?

Christoph

Search ADFserials through GOOGLE-go to email newsletter april 2005

gian

gian paolo 3rd June 2007 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by gian paolo (Post 44228)
Christoph

Search ADFserials through GOOGLE-go to email newsletter april 2005

gian

http://www.newsletter.adf-serials.com/

gian

Christoph 4th June 2007 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by gian paolo (Post 44232)

Yes, I found the newsletter - very interesting to read, many thanks.

JACK COOK 8th June 2007 00:01

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...onLeethumb.jpg
Lt Don Lee 8th FS 49th FG 1943