Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A ?? RE: The Stackpole JG26 War Diaries (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=61252)

NickM 24th December 2021 20:42

A ?? RE: The Stackpole JG26 War Diaries

Gang:

My 'OG' Grub Street volumes of the JG26 War Diaries, are still being read by me, periodically, but they're over 20 years old and getting a bit 'long in the tooth'.

Do the Stackpole versions contain more or less the same info (perhaps maybe any newly discovered updates) as my 'originals'? I'd like to have them if and when my old hardcopies finally bite the dust.

Thanks, ahead of time for your input.

NM

Jim P. 25th December 2021 02:04

Re: A ?? RE: The Stackpole JG26 War Diaries

According to Stackpole's own website, the 2-volume JG 26 War Diary's were printed in 2012. Given that, I would think that they are just reprints of the originals. If Don Caldwell had done any significant updates since the original publication of these one would think there would have been some buzz amongst the community.

I met and talked with Mr. Caldwell via, the now long defunct, LW Circle and at a meeting of same in Omaha almost 30 years ago. His extensive research included meeting with and interviewing a number of the surviving pilots and obtaining copies of quite a number of their logbooks. He was my introduction into the use of those documents as an instrument of research - kindly allowing me and a couple of buddies to "abscond" with those that he had with him at the time for an evening to take as many notes as we could. It was a long night.

You may refer to his work as being "long in the tooth", but I seriously doubt any author since has had that sort of access to the surviving vets - most of whom are now deceased. I think the only author, or team of authors, who have really done anything of significance on JG 26 since then, though mostly through operational movements, losses and claims, is quite likely Mr. Prien and his team through their Jagdfliegerverbande series. Beyond that, and the documents of course, there is almost no one left to tell the stories.

One point that should be made of the surviving logbooks for JG 26 though is that many of them are:
1) available through the usual trading circles.
AND
2) quite a number of them include both aircraft code and WNr. for the individual sorties.
This makes them both extremely useful, and rather rare as these things go.

NickM 25th December 2021 04:42

No, NOT the work being 'long on the tooth', but the condition of my book because it's over 20++ years old and much handled, is looking 'shoddy'. Also, I wasn't sure if any missing LW microfilms were discovered 'in the interim', it was possible to add them to the later volume.

Bookman 25th December 2021 17:23

Met Prof. Caldwell at one of the reunions in Germany. Top shelf fellow. As JG 26 veterans organization merged with our (larger) JG27 organization, I made good friends with their secretary Mr. Molge. Years passed and at his last visit shortly before his last flight, he sent all of the voluminous material to a private individual, also since passed away.
As an aside, a certain TWA captain also received much material via gifts with many of the vet's themselves and or families as well as pre-internet purchases. Sadly, he's gone as well.
Best wishes for a health happy bookfilled new year.

ClinA-78 26th December 2021 09:31

Hi,

I am aware there is a project by fellow Belgian writers about JG 26. They are alive and still kicking!

ClinA-78

bn785371 26th December 2021 11:00

#5 Any more details?

ClinA-78 27th December 2021 15:41

No;)