Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 . (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=28885)

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 13:33

Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 .

At present I am researching the career of Oblt.Paul Gommer 1./KG40 , he was killed on February 5 , 1941 along with five other members of his crew when their FW200 F8+AH Wrk nr.0042 crashed in Ireland . One crew member survived Ofw Max Hohaus but was badly burnt .
In the book "The Storm Passed By" by Trevor Allen he stated on 29.12.40 that Paul Gommer's FW200 attacked a ship called "Trevarrack" in Lough Foyle and hit it with two bombs causing the ship to be abandoned . Can anybody please confirm if this is true .
I would also be very gratefull if anybody knew anything else about Paul Gommer , I have contact with Paul Gommer's daughter but she was only a year old when her father was lost , she too would like to know more about her father's time in the Luftwaffe.

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 16:49

Re: Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 .

[quote=schnellmeyer;143905] Oblt.Paul Gommer 1./KG40 , he was killed on February 5 , 1941 along with five other members of his crew when their FW200 F8+AH Wrk nr.0042 crashed in Ireland . One crew member survived Ofw Max Hohaus but was badly burnt .

Was there a seventh crewman?
Trevor Allen is slightly off on the location. DRS 403 states the location was 90 miles west of Malin Head.
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 17:09

Hi Tony , never heard of a seventh crew member . From all the official records at the time they only list six and five bodies were recovered at the scene .Do you know something we may not ?
Do you think that Gommer attacked the ship on 29.12.40 ?
Thanks for your help .

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 17:42

No Justin, I though that You may know something we don't. Read your quote in my reply!
"Oblt Gommer was killed along with five other members of his crew = 6 crew" and Fw. Hohus makes seven!
Was it an age thing or finger trouble?.
regards
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 17:48

You are spot on Tony , sorry my mistake . The total crew number was six , five killed and one survived . Old age is starting to take it's toll !

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 17:52

Couldn't be a senior moment at your age had to be finger trouble!
regards
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 18:11

Well I do suffer from arthritis in the fingers after all my years playing football with The Kingdom !

Jim P. 8th March 2012 01:11

Football? Not from all the typing?? I have a little finger that's not quite straight from playing US football in my, now, long lost youth - but then given the way I type it's seldom used anyway, besides which my fingers sometimes just can't spell :))

schnellmeyer 8th March 2012 01:41

Oh what joy we had in our youth , by the way can anybody else help me with information on Paul Gommer ?

Marc BENOIT 8th March 2012 12:33

Hello,

I have 7 crew members in that Condor : 2 pilots, 2 radio operators, 1 mechanic, 1 gunner and 1 meteo Reg Rat Dr Herrström
I have no mission report, but that day, a Condor attacked the ( greek ) "Ionnis M. Embiricos" , 3734 GRT, with 6 SC 250, 45 Km west of Colonsay

The ship sunk later and the plane ??

Regards
Marc