Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 . (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=28885)

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 12:33

Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 .

At present I am researching the career of Oblt.Paul Gommer 1./KG40 , he was killed on February 5 , 1941 along with five other members of his crew when their FW200 F8+AH Wrk nr.0042 crashed in Ireland . One crew member survived Ofw Max Hohaus but was badly burnt .
In the book "The Storm Passed By" by Trevor Allen he stated on 29.12.40 that Paul Gommer's FW200 attacked a ship called "Trevarrack" in Lough Foyle and hit it with two bombs causing the ship to be abandoned . Can anybody please confirm if this is true .
I would also be very gratefull if anybody knew anything else about Paul Gommer , I have contact with Paul Gommer's daughter but she was only a year old when her father was lost , she too would like to know more about her father's time in the Luftwaffe.

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 15:49

Re: Oblt. Paul Gommer KG40 .

[quote=schnellmeyer;143905] Oblt.Paul Gommer 1./KG40 , he was killed on February 5 , 1941 along with five other members of his crew when their FW200 F8+AH Wrk nr.0042 crashed in Ireland . One crew member survived Ofw Max Hohaus but was badly burnt .

Was there a seventh crewman?
Trevor Allen is slightly off on the location. DRS 403 states the location was 90 miles west of Malin Head.
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 16:09

Hi Tony , never heard of a seventh crew member . From all the official records at the time they only list six and five bodies were recovered at the scene .Do you know something we may not ?
Do you think that Gommer attacked the ship on 29.12.40 ?
Thanks for your help .

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 16:42

No Justin, I though that You may know something we don't. Read your quote in my reply!
"Oblt Gommer was killed along with five other members of his crew = 6 crew" and Fw. Hohus makes seven!
Was it an age thing or finger trouble?.
regards
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 16:48

You are spot on Tony , sorry my mistake . The total crew number was six , five killed and one survived . Old age is starting to take it's toll !

Tony Kearns 7th March 2012 16:52

Couldn't be a senior moment at your age had to be finger trouble!
regards
Tony K

schnellmeyer 7th March 2012 17:11

Well I do suffer from arthritis in the fingers after all my years playing football with The Kingdom !

Jim P. 8th March 2012 00:11

Football? Not from all the typing?? I have a little finger that's not quite straight from playing US football in my, now, long lost youth - but then given the way I type it's seldom used anyway, besides which my fingers sometimes just can't spell :))

schnellmeyer 8th March 2012 00:41

Oh what joy we had in our youth , by the way can anybody else help me with information on Paul Gommer ?

Marc BENOIT 8th March 2012 11:33

Hello,

I have 7 crew members in that Condor : 2 pilots, 2 radio operators, 1 mechanic, 1 gunner and 1 meteo Reg Rat Dr Herrström
I have no mission report, but that day, a Condor attacked the ( greek ) "Ionnis M. Embiricos" , 3734 GRT, with 6 SC 250, 45 Km west of Colonsay

The ship sunk later and the plane ??

Regards
Marc

Doug Stankey 8th March 2012 16:49

This topic has led me on a merry chase but apparently I am not the only one who has been running in circles. This topic was already discussed in a past TOCH thread:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...ghlight=Hohaus
There are some interesting and revealing discussions there, but no satisfying conclusions. Apparently no ships were involved in this incident!

This has lead to the tentative entry in our files:

GÖMMER, Paul. (DOB: 13.01.09 in Malstatt). 05.02.41 Oblt. in I./KG 40 - KIA in Fw 200 C-3 (F8+AH) flew into Mount Gabriel/Ireland, apparently lost in the fog. Buried at Glencree.

I hope that this helps.
DGS

schnellmeyer 10th March 2012 13:20

Many thanks to all who have posted on this topic , however my original question has not been answered . Can anybody confirm if Paul Gommer did attack the ship on 29.12.40 and can anybody help with any details on Paul Gommer .
The crew of FW 200 C-3 F8+AH that crashed in Ireland on 5.2.41 were as follows , Oblt. Paul Gommer ( aircraft commander) , Ofw Willi Dose ( Pilot) , Reg.Rat Dr. Edmond Herrstrom ( Meteorologist) , Fw. Max Hohaus ( Radio operator), Ofw Werner Albrecht ( Flight engineer ) Gefr. Walter Clasen (Gunner) .
Fw. Max Hohaus was the only survivor from the crash , he suffered terrible burns and returned to Germany in late 1943 in a exchange of POW's organised by the Red Cross . Max passed away in the mid 1980's .
I believe the loss of F8+AH on 5.2.41 was a result of bad weather and the fact that the plane was flying low at the time it hit Cashelfeane Hill .
I would be very grateful if anybody could help with any other details on this crash , thanks.

schnellmeyer 15th March 2012 17:48

Can anybody else please help here before I close my file on this crash , thanks.

Chris Goss 15th March 2012 17:54

I feel that you will have to close your file on this-I am afraid that Gommer was just another pilot about whom little is or will be known

schnellmeyer 16th March 2012 00:37

Looks like you are right Chris , pity as it would have been nice to be able to tell Gommer's daughter a little about her father . Well at least I now have a photo of Paul Gommer . Thanks to all who posted on this topic.