Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Post-war livery of No 21 Squadron Mosquitos? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=61318)

ChristianK 4th January 2022 12:23

Post-war livery of No 21 Squadron Mosquitos?

Gentlemen,

thanks to Spektor in the Luftwaffe sub-forum I discovered this 1947 shot of a 21 Squadron Mosquito at Wien-Schwechat: https://fullfatthings-keyaero.b-cdn....mg_62-1_33.jpg

I think this is an attractive scheme. Are there any more photos of Mosquitos from this unit post-war? Or does anyone has any ideas about the colors here (fuselage and spinner tips for example)?

Cheers,
Christian

Stig Jarlevik 4th January 2022 15:02

Re: Post-war livery of No 21 Squadron Mosquitos?

No answer to your questions

However the few post war photos I have seen of No 21 Sq's FB.6 is that they basically had the same camouflage
style. Spinners were painted, but having no real interest in such details I let someone else comment on that.

Reason I answer is that the same aircraft is listed as s/n TA471 in Philip Moyes Bomber Squadrons of the RAF.
A photo is shown and it is stated it was taken at Schwechat in 1947.

Since the unit was based in Germany until it disbanded in Nov 1947, what was it doing in Austria and on top being shown
in two different photos?

BTW your request is much more fitting in the post war section.

Cheers
Stig

ChristianK 4th January 2022 15:15

Yeah, post-war would be more fitting, but I thought 1947 is close enough ;)

But thanks for the hint to the other photo. Does anyone have Moyes' book at hand and would provide me with a scan?

Stig Jarlevik 4th January 2022 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianK (Post 314639)
Yeah, post-war would be more fitting, but I thought 1947 is close enough ;)

But thanks for the hint to the other photo. Does anyone have Moyes' book at hand and would provide me with a scan?

Ha, ha Christian :)

I somewhat agree with close enough, but rules are rules....
If you send me a PM with your e-mail, I will scan the page and send it over to you

Cheers
Stig

ChristianK 4th January 2022 15:26

Thanks a lot Stig - PM sent :)

Franek Grabowski 4th January 2022 15:39

Colours were depending on the order of squadrons in the wing. Guess red in the case.

Buckeye30 4th January 2022 16:01

According to my (very) old notes the fronts of the spinners and nose were polished metal with yellow backs and a thin black band; these matched the code letters, yellow with black borders. The squadron badge was on the tail, a fist holding a dumb-bell.
Can't say 100% now though.
There is a close-up of the noses on the rafweb.org site.

Regards
Nick

ChristianK 4th January 2022 18:55

Thanks Nick. Looking at the the photos this could sure be correct.

Buckeye30 5th January 2022 15:46

Frank In Stig's photo the code letters are lighter than the red in the insignia, almost certainly yellow; the colours were not changed before 21's disbandment in Nov. 1947.
107 Sqn. was at Gutersloh at the same time, a photo of OM--R shows spinners and letters a light colour but this was Panchromatic film which lightens reds and yellows so could be either. When 107 moved to Wahn in Nov. they adopted light green (as the fourth Sqn.) the other squadrons used blue, red and yellow

Ortho film darkens reds and yellows so they often look almost black so you can compare these known colours with any others.
Regards
Nick

Franek Grabowski 12th January 2022 22:09

Yes, after a closer look I have noticed that. Some Squadrons turned to their original colours after the war, so it was a bit colourful. Some other used wing colours, eg. No 305 Sqn as a third sqn in the Wing used yellow codes and yellow spinners after the war.