Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Original Source of this Hans Philipp photo? (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=34175)

Clint Mitchell 3rd June 2013 20:11

Original Source of this Hans Philipp photo?

Hi Guys,

Here is a photo of Hans Philipp. It was originally published very small in the Hans Philipp edition of a German pamphlet series on RK winners. I do not know the title but I do know it was captioned as being of Philipp and his Bf109F in Russia. The photo in fact shows Philipp's Bf109E 'White 9' around about the 13th October 1940. It looks to have been taken at the same time as a series of well known colour PK photos of Hans Philipp and several other pilots posing and leaning against 'White 9" at Campagne lés Guines AF, France. One of these photos is shown here on the Bildarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz (BPK) website. The photo looks like it may have been cropped from a larger photo? Well that's what we are hoping. Does anyone know the original source of this photo? Is there an un-cropped version in existence and where might we be able to acquire a copy?

Thank you,

Jim P. 4th June 2013 01:52

Re: Original Source of this Hans Philipp photo?

Philipp did also fly a Bf 109F-2 coded 'white 9' during the late summer of 1941 in the Soviet Union. There a several photos of that machine about in various sources.

ouidjat 4th June 2013 07:14

Hi Clint,

But an un-cropped version does exist my friend ... well let's say less cropped and of course it's white 9. Even if not complete, it's clear enough.

And of course the first picture you posted has been taken the same day; unless to have sand in our eyes.

AH Yes the photo! Here: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showth...Philipp&page=2 post # 20.

Ask Thenhelm he must know were the "white 9" has been published since he did send me it just after this amazing thread.

Cheers, Franck.

Larry Hickey 4th June 2013 07:46

Franck,

Clint posted this photo for me. I also originated the previous post to which you referred. We're aware of the other well-known photos in what seems like a possible sequence taken the same day, but which shows only the back edge of the "White 9." This is NOT an uncropped image from the "White 9" with Philipp that Clint posted. There is no question that Philipp flew a/c designated "White 9" during the Battle of Britain and probably earlier. We are looking for an uncropped photo of the specific image that Clint posted, or even just a better quality image of that one, cropped or not.

We know that Philipp did not fly "White 9" as far back as the Polish Campaign when he was with 1./JG76, as we have absolute confirmation that Anton Stangl was the usual pilot of that a/c during the PC. We have photos from Stangl's collection showing this a/c, including the W.Nr., and confirmation of this W.Nr. from Stangl's Flugbuch. However, he ceased flying this a/c regularly not long after the PC.

As Jim Perry says, we also know that Philipp flew a Bf109F "White 9" during the early days of the Russian Campaign. So, what we are seeking are additional photos specifically from the @ Oct 13, 1940 photo shoot that clearly show "White 9," and the area forward from the number to the yellow nose. This will allow us to complete an accurate color profile (already underway) for the EoE Project.

We've already completed another profile of his "White 9" a/c with a different camouflage scheme and scoreboard-style earlier in the BoB (see Prien, et. al. jFV 4/II P. 308 for one view of this a/c), and even another one backdated to the WC of May-June, although we need better photography of his a/c at that time as well, especially his scoreboard during the WC. In fact, any photos of "White 9" at any time during 1940 would be very helpful.

Who can help?

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator

Clint Mitchell 4th June 2013 09:52

Jim, Franck, Thank you for yor replies. :)