Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Unit Emblem Identification (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=57847)

Rabe Anton 13th July 2020 18:07

Unit Emblem Identification

Can any reader identify the unit emblem described below, which has appeared in photographs of at least three aircraft sold on eBay.de in recent weeks:
Go 145 C A + U S
Go 145 D D + E W
Fi 156 P B + Q S
The Wappen consists of a vertical rectangular field with triangular bottom, all thinly outlined black. The field is a medium color such as green, blue, or red. On this field appears a flying jack boot in black kicking a stone or ball. A small white wing is attached to the top of the boot. The emblem is displayed beneath the cabane struts or, in the case of the Fi 156, beneath the windscreen.

I should add that this Wappen does not seem to appear in any of Barry Ketley's publications. A source or reference would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for looking into this question.

RA

JoMe 14th July 2020 13:45

Re: Unit Emblem Identification

Hi Anton

All three aircraft belonged to Verb.St.68 in 1941. I do not know the shield of these squadron.
The two Go 145 then belonged to LKS 1 (1942).
Can you please post a copy of the shield ?

Best wishes
JoMe

sidney 14th July 2020 14:33

1 Attachment(s)
DD+EW along with the emblem. Verb.St.68 is correct. Source: An expired eBay auction.

Rabe Anton 14th July 2020 17:22

Thank very much indeed, JoMe and sidney! You fellows have answered my question perfectly.

There are, sadly, no clear photos of the Wappen. I pieced together my description from six or more photos of the three airplanes I listed. Because of the lack of detail, I am still wondering if the boot is kicking a stone or, let's say, a soccer ball. But that determination may remain for the future.

Again, fellows, thank you for helping a comrade in need.

Stay well!

RA

sidney 15th July 2020 12:53

You are very welcome, Anton, glad that I could help.

As for the emblem itself, I remember seeing the emblem before. It is just a soldier's boot in black with the wings attached thereto. A flying boot, indicating the Staffel's services to the Heer. There is nothing else there, neither stone, nor soccer ball. The colour of the shield is anyone's guess, it may have been blue, but it is hard to prove it either way.

Stay well and healthy.

Regards,
S.

Andre Stewart 15th July 2020 19:46

5 Attachment(s)
Hello folks,

Thank you all for assigning a unit to this emblem, which has also puzzled me for some time.

I'd like to share a few photo scans, mainly old eBay auctions [except the last one] --

1st and 2nd scans - Fw58 DK+AV - notice the boot emblem behind that of the prancing horse of FFS A/B 32. Does anyone know of any connection between the FFS A/B 32 and Verb. St. 68? Or could it just be a case of the aircraft changing units and carrying both emblems?

3rd scan - the boot emblem on Fi156 PB+QS - can anyone confirm the unit this aircraft was assigned to?

4th scan - the boot emblem on the rear of a sidecar [it appears quite clear in spite of being some distance from the photographer]

5th scan - the cherry on the pie --> an unidentified unit emblem pin posted on the WHA forum in 2006. An exact match with our boot. So questions on the colours can be answered much earlier than expected.

Andre

Tom Willis 15th July 2020 20:21

Post 6
I have FW58 - DK+AV with FAR32 early 1941 to July 1941 and with Verb.St.68 on August 1941. Also have it with FFS(C)19 in Sept.1943. No other dates. If anybody can add to this then Thanks

Andre Stewart 16th July 2020 02:40

So it would appear that Fw58 DK+AV moved from FFS A/B 32 to Verb. St. 68 and the photo could have been taken on or after Aug 1941, which would explain the presence of both emblems.

Thank you very much, Tom.
Andre

Merlin 16th July 2020 12:46

The Verb.St. 68 was formed with training aircraft (plus some Fi 156) and advanced crews from Sch./FAR 32 at Pardubitz during May 1941.

JoMe 16th July 2020 13:39

Hi all

append to post from Merlin:
... and disbanded in Dec. 1941.
A new VerbSt.68 was formed in April 1942 (for operation area southern Russia) and disbanded in Jan.1943.

Thank you very much for the photos.

best wishes
JoMe