Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Question about Gerhard Backhorn's sidearm (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=11240)

HKC012 18th December 2007 11:31

Question about Gerhard Backhorn's sidearm

Good day, I am studying the information about the second best german pilot in WWII Gerhard Backhorn. I would like to know what sidearm was actually used by Gerhard Backhorn as his self defense weapon. Someone said it was P38,

In addition, was it a common habit for him to carry flare gun for survival?

thank you for your kindness reply!

http://www.luftwaffe39-45.historia.n...s/barkhorn.jpg

John Beaman 18th December 2007 20:31

Re: Question about Gerhard Backhorn's sidearm

The correct spelling of his name is Barkhorn.;)

George Hopp 19th December 2007 00:40

Quote:

In addition, was it a common habit for him to carry flare gun for survival?
The flare gun was usually in the aircraft, but often pilots carried some flares attached in a holder that wrapped around a leg of their flying suit.

HKC012 19th December 2007 07:38

Thank you for your information!
I have a question that will the p38 pistol sound bulky to the fighter?
As this is important as they need to get out from the plane whey their plane is shot. Since the holster may obstruct them.

I welcome any further information regarding to Barkhorn or similiar discussion on air crew.

thanks

WEISNER 19th December 2007 08:54

The Luger being such a perfect built Pistol, ie, tight tolerances, the holster for it was quite bulky and basically sealed it off from outside dirt and dust and was large and unhandy.
I.... if givin the choice, would hands down have picked the P38! as it was more compact, and forgiving to dirt and abuse... such as a Bail out and coming down in swampy conditions on the Ost front.
Just my opinion and not sure what Barkhorns choice was. search the Net for Luger Holsters and see for yourself! Huge!
Kevin

Jon 19th December 2007 18:39

I think the pistol was down to the pilots choice, I have a Luger recovered from a HE177 crash in England. To be honest the size of any sidearm even in a holster would not have been so big as to obstruct a pilot or aircrew getting out of an aircraft in a hurry.

George Hopp 19th December 2007 19:46

Since the pistol would normally be under the pilot's jacket, it would bulk out the jacket somewhat but otherwise shouldn't impede his exit from the aircraft. Remember the same person also had a parachute harness, and either seat or back parachute, and depending on where he was flying, a life jacket also. So, I imagine the pistol would simply be tucked in somewhere where it wouldn't interfere with anything else on the pilot (or other crew) and that would be it.

I don't know about other services, but in the RCAF, aircrew seem to have been given a choice of whether or not to carry guns. Most often they didn't because they might shoot themselves, and it might give the Germans extra incentive to shoot them. As an infantry friend said about pistols: "The best way to hit someone with a pistol is to throw it at him."

Jon 19th December 2007 20:16

Spot on George, i remember reading about a British officer wounded on D Day infront of a German Pillbox, hero style as he lay on his back, drew his revolver intending to lob .38 bullets through the pillbox slit.
With his feet pointing towards the enemy he drew aim...and shot a hole through his left foot !!

Weren't some aircrew killed by their own side arms by irrate civilians?

Chris Goss 19th December 2007 20:26

We found a FN Browning in a Do 217 crash

atckyrre 19th December 2007 20:33

The famous St.G 77-commander Alfons Orthofer carried a Russian Nagan pistol in a holster hanging from his neck. This according to the account in LW in Focus.

K