Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Allied and Soviet Air Forces (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Charles Arthur Copeland Chetham (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=51439)

Teresa Maria 26th June 2018 16:38

Charles Arthur Copeland Chetham

Dear All,
Do you happen to know Charles Arthur Copeland Chetham's full date of birth? I have only found December 1919: http://www.thekingscandlesticks.com/...ees/13131.html
Thank you very much in advance.

Icare9 28th June 2018 19:15

Re: Charles Arthur Copeland Chetham

Not so simple, this one.
His father died almost a year later, and as he was in the Indian Police Force there is a possibility that Charles Arthur may have been born outside England.

CHETHAM, SAMUEL FISHER COPELAND. Civilian (Special Constable). Died 25/04/1942. Aged 63
Area Officer, Special Constabulary. Husband of Dorothy Kate Chetham, of St. Bernards, Wolborough Hill. Injured at Berwyn Hotel; died same day at Newton Abbot Hospital.

Chetham, Charles Arthur Copeland of RAF No 33 Squadron, Y Force, Middle east Command died April 15 1941 on War service. Administration Llandudno 25 November to Samuel Fisher Copeland Chetham, retired Indian Police. Effects £907 8s 3d.

His age is given in newspaper obituary as 21 so possibly 1920

Teresa Maria 29th June 2018 01:06

Dear Icare,
Thank you very much for your answer. I'm afraid Google isn't enough, but thank you very much for trying to find it out. (If something isn't online, Google can't find it, and his date of birth may not be online...)
Best regards,
Teresa

Icare9 29th June 2018 13:10

You're right. The 1939 Register often has the date of birth (as for his father and other family) but Charles not at home and doesn't show up on search, so possibly misspelt surname. We know he signed up in 1938 but not called up till Sept 1939, so he should have been at home, but obviously elsewhere, but not yet traced. Will see if I can crack it for you, unless other brains beat me!

PMoz99 29th June 2018 16:38

Not sure how reliable or helpful this is, but a Wiki list of RAF aircrew in the Battle of Britain lists your man in No 1 Squadron, confirms DoD as previously given here.
Peter

Icare9 29th June 2018 22:19

Yes. dazzled by searchlights and baled out of his Hurricane unharmed
There was a dig in the 1990's to excavate the Hurricane which appears to have been smashed to pieces.

EDIT: In May 1923, his 41 year old mother Dorothy Kay (nee Giles) and sibling Cecil E (other sources state daughter) were travelling from Madras to Weston super Mare aboard the "City of Exeter". Charles's age was shown as being three years old.

On 15 October the Chetham family (mother, daughter Cecil E M and Charles sailed for Bombay on Kaisar I Hind.
Charles was stated as being 10 months old, so very late 1919 or early 1920, and I'd guess that there must be a Birth record somewhere close to W-s-M...

.... which I've now found
Name: Charlos [sic] A C Chetham. Registration Date: 1919 4th Qtr. Registration district: Axbridge, Somerset
Registration Year: 1919. Mother's Maiden Name: Giles. Volume Number: 5c. Page Number: 712.

Her father Arthur Henry Giles, ( a retired Inspector General, Indian Police) died in Axbridge in 1926, so I'm presuming he was born at his grandparents home December 1919.....

Date of Birth confirmed? here http://www.thekingscandlesticks.com/...ees/13131.html
Arthur Henry "Creck" GILES Born: 21 Jun 1839, Attended City of London School Cheapside London
Marriage: Georgina Sophia RUSSELL in 1871 in Calcutta India
Died: 26 Jan 1926, at Westwood Grove Park Rd Weston-Super-Mare Somerset, aged 86 (I'd guess her parental home, as also that was the address on her steamship passages from India.

Teresa Maria 30th June 2018 01:35

Dear Icare,
Thank you very much for making the effort to find out Charles A.C. Copeland's birth date. In fact, the link to the date 'December 1919' (without the day) is the same one that I included in my first post. Apparently, Google cannot yield anything else...
Best regards,
Teresa

Icare9 30th June 2018 02:17

Yes, but the voyage to India on 15th October 1920 (apologies for omitting the year) which gives his age as 10 months puts his date of birth very close to the end of 1919. I haven't found a more precise date, but a November birth would have shown as 11 months, as should an early December 1919 birth.
I think we need family knowledge to get any closer to an actual date.

Teresa Maria 1st July 2018 18:27

Dear Icare,
Thank you very much for your answer. Apparently, December 1919 is all we can find online. :-)

Icare9 1st July 2018 21:45

If absolutely necessary for the actual date of birth, then the Registration details for Charlos as in my previous post should be sufficient to order his Birth Certificate, which should record the actual day.