Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   Books and Magazines (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262 (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=50820)

edwest2 23rd March 2018 04:55

Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Expected in April or May.

http://www.christian-schmidt.com/pro...ducts_id=10186

More information:

https://translate.google.com/transla...g/&prev=search

Usual disclaimer,
Ed

azapf1972 23rd March 2018 08:59

Re: Mosquitos über Berlin. Nachtjagd mit der Messerschmitt Bf 109 und Me 262

Gentlefolks,

please be advise that this is a bit "premature". But only in the sense that the image presented is not the final cover. We (the publisher and me) had decided to hold back a bit until the website (www.nachtjagd-me262.org) holds the actual cover but hey...

As many of you know, I have spent a better part of the last five years on a research project covering "Kommando Welter" and 10./NJG11. I was reluctant to publish as a book first but the amount of information available grew too large to just "throw it out" so I finally decided to turn it into a book.

Attached is a map that shows most of the aircraft accidents and losses covered in the books (next to many other things), paying tribute to the crews that were injured, taken POW or lost their life far too early. I will share more information as it becomes available. If you are using Facebook, you can use this link to stay informed as well.

I have taken down my outdated information from www.kommando-welter.de and www.chronicles-of-the-luftwaffe.de to not confuse people. Any links that have been made to the sites in the past should remain valid, however.

For those interested, here is a translation of the German cover text:

“Late in the summer of 1944, the skies over the Reich were mostly dominated by the Allied air forces. The heavy bombers of the USAAF at day, the ones of the RAF at night. In addition more and more the fast deHavilland DH.98 ‘Mosquito’ of the Light Night Striking Force which can – with little to no opposition – road the skies over the German Cities more or less unchallenged. Besides the ever present Flak, there is not much they have to fear.

‘Not much’, however, is relative. With their fast and agile Messerschmitt Bf109, some specialized units such as the 10./JG300 and later II./NJG11 are operating especially against the fast ‘Wooden Wonder’. And starting December 1944, first nocturnal missions using the Me262 are added to the threat. Starting out as ‘Kommando Welter’ and being taken into regular operations as 10./NJG11 later, a handful of skilled pilots are flying the single-seated Me262A and later the Me262B-1a/U1 twin-seater to counter the nightly Mosquito attacks.

This book shines a light at the almost untold story of the Nachtjagd with the Me262. 596 pages, 160 b/w photos, 69 reproduced documents, 24 maps and flight maps are adding to a story reproduced from material hidden in archives around the world, flight logs, written accounts and many hours of personal discussions with those involved. Enjoy the untold story of a unique unit and their nocturnal stalking of the famous ‘Mosquito’”

Andreas

CortoM 23rd March 2018 12:33

@Andreas

Dein Buch werde ich auf alle Fälle kaufen!

laurent14 23rd March 2018 13:41

Looks impressive. The kind of book that I buy instantly... but in English.

edwest2 23rd March 2018 18:07

I'll buy it. The language I can translate.

Jukka Juutinen 23rd March 2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurent14 (Post 249611)
Looks impressive. The kind of book that I buy instantly... but in English.

Likewise here! I think Harald Rabeder has set an excellent example with his English edition of Knullenkopfstaffel.

Theo Boiten 23rd March 2018 20:09

Hi Andreas,

Excellent work -congratulations on the publication of this important work, which indeed will fill a gap in the existing historiography about the airwar in WWII, looking forward to reading it!

Cheers, Theo

azapf1972 23rd March 2018 21:01

All right, the web site has been updated to now show the actual cover art (the book cover, of course, is more crisp [reduced here on purpose] and contains a bit more text ;)

As for the much discussed English version: both, VDM as the publisher and myself, have an interest to see if we can interest an English-language publisher to make this available to everyone.

BUT: one step after another! The German version goes first (which is what we are currently putting our focus on) - and then we have a physical book in hand to see if we can find anyone interested in translating 600 pages...

Andreas

CortoM 24th March 2018 15:35

Das einzige was mir bei VDM etwas Sorge bereitet ist die Druckqualität (gerade die Bilder) Da hat IMHO Herr Urbanke (Luftwaffe Verlag Start) die Latte hoch gehängt.

John Beaman 24th March 2018 16:43

Guys English on this web site unless quoting from a wartime document!