Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/index.php)
-   The Second World War in General (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Females in German war production (http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=49134)

Jukka Juutinen 3rd September 2017 15:47

Females in German war production

George Forty states in his book German tanks of World War Two that 2.25 million females worked in the British war industry while only 182,000 women worked in the German war industry. Are these figures correct? Are there available comparison figures for WW1?

James A Pratt III 4th September 2017 20:45

Re: Females in German war production

I don't think so. I believe this was a myth put out after WW II and in recent decades it has been proved false.

CJE 5th September 2017 02:32

What was a myth?
The German figures or the British?

Nick Beale 6th September 2017 00:26

You might find the answer in either "The Wages of Destruction" by Adam Tooze or "The German War" by Nicholas Stargardt.

Jukka Juutinen 6th September 2017 19:08

One might indeed, but I don't think I am buying two books for just this information.

Nick Beale 7th September 2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen (Post 239317)
One might indeed, but I don't think I am buying two books for just this information.

Both in paperback and very much worth reading, especially "Wages of Destruction" (£12.99) which dispels many misconceptions about the German economy.

Pages 513–515: "German women in 1939 were already more actively engaged in the labour force than Britain's women were to be even at the end of the war. [Reich Labour Ministry data for 1943] the share of women in work was 25.4 per cent in the United States, 33.1 per cent in Britain and 34 per cent in Germany".

edwest2 7th September 2017 21:55

Thank you, Nick. That was very helpful. Indeed, I've see many photos of German women working on aircraft assembly. This, of course, does not include women forced laborers also engaged in war production.

Ed

Nick Beale 7th September 2017 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwest2 (Post 239368)
Thank you, Nick. That was very helpful. Indeed, I've see many photos of German women working on aircraft assembly. This, of course, does not include women forced laborers also engaged in war production.

Ed

Yes, very hard to tell from photos if they were German or not. Compulsory labour service people from occupied Western Europe might not be easy to spot.

CJE 8th October 2017 11:39

1 Attachment(s)
Rosa die Nieterin?

Sussy9845 13th October 2017 05:15

Does that include women who worked in auxiliary roles in the military? Some 500,000 women in Germany were in the military with roles such as health services, secretaries, telecommunications operators and working with anti-aircraft troops.

I also found mention of younger girls who were employed in the agricultural sector. There is also some conflicting reports of anywhere between 1.2 million and 15 million women working in the arms section during the war.